• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open file "". Adobe InCopy may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently made changes to a file and saved it. Then I try to open it again and got this message: Cannot open file "". Adobe InCopy may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

I thought it might be open elsewhere, so I made a copy file and still can't open that (with name change). There are no hidden files anywhere in the folder.

Can anyone help? I cannot spend more time on it as it's a time urgent project!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of file is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the file name: 01_1801966_Vol_I_2013_E-12.icml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a stand alone ICML file or is it already placed in an InDesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already "linked" to an icma/indd file. But when I try to relink them, it says "not an InDesign exchange format".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What version of InCopy?

This is starting to sound like a version problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.01 But I also tried with the previous version and also the 2017 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does an earlier back-up of the file work?

I've only seen that message when an old version of IC  is trying to open a newer ICML file, or an old ID version is trying to place a newer ICML file.

More commonly, I've seen that message when someone manually changes the filename extension from something ID/IC can't deal with. (Maybe not you, but someone else?) Less often, when the file is munged.

If the file worked before, I'd go to a backup.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi meiw,

Were you able to get the file by following above-mentioned suggestions? Please feel free to report if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines