• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing default file locations

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InCopy CC in a remote location on a PC with Windows 10, and the packages I receive are downloaded to the Documents folder under This PC. I would prefer to download them to Documents under OneDrive, for backup and accessibility. Is there a way to change the default location? I found a discussion about this from 2008 - can they really not have fixed this 10 years later?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

May I make an alternate suggestion? Stop using this workflow and just save the InDesign and InCopy content into a OneDrive or Dropbox folder.

Way more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, sorry to say, this has not been changed in all this time.

Have you tried manually moving the InCopy Assignments folder created to OneDrive? (and each unpacked Assignment as it gets added?) Curious if that would work. That is, when choosing Return for InDesign, is InCopy smart enough to package the assignment in OneDrive.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes, that’s what I’ve been  doing, but no, InCopy is not smart enough to package the .idap assignment in OneDrive – it just tries to create another folder in This PC. Same for exporting to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I make an alternate suggestion? Stop using this workflow and just save the InDesign and InCopy content into a OneDrive or Dropbox folder.

Way more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I'm doing btut have to create a folder every time and for every PDF export and InDesign return. It's a nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I was clear enough. Put everything into a Dropbox or OneDrive folder and SHARE it among the users. When it's time to edit something just open the InDesign file in InCopy.

As long as everyone has a decent internet connection the files should sync very quickly.

No packages, no assignments, no real hassle at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, now I understand. Thank you. I'll discuss this with the production person. I'm not sure it wouldn't just offload the problem to her, as she does InDesign work for several magazines, not just mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will make everyone’s life easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob, this solution worked for us. For others reading this discussion later, note that assignments are still needed, but packages are not. It's overall a cleaner method than emailing back and forth.

-Masha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You really don’t even need the assignments but they do simplify things just a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines