• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl + Backspace not working

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I thought I'd give InCopy a try as I am looking for a program to write things in that I can copy into AEM, Wordpress etc. But after a couple of seconds I discovered that Ctrl + Backspace doesn't work the way it works in almost every other program I have ever used. This is stunning. And what's even worse is that the way it does work (deleting to the right) covers about 1% of my use cases, while I delete to the left almost always. It also doesn't make much sense, as the backspace key is meant to go left. It's called the BACKSPACE key for a reason. Ctrl + Del should absolutely delete to the right, which does work too. Which brings me to another point why this makes absolutely no sense at all: The backspace and Del key are 2 cm apart. Why do you need to have two keys, 2 cm apart from each other, assigned to a rarely used feature?

Have I simply not found a way to enable standard behavior or can anyone give me an explanation why InCopy behaves the way it does? From what I found InCopy isn't the most popular of applications (I wonder why...), but with InDesign there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. InDesign users just say use Word to write the text. Funny, when InCopy was designed to work with InDesign, and comes free for users of InDesign, while Word is a pricey add-on. I don't care how good the program is otherwise, but such behavior is unacceptable for any application, let alone a text editor. Might as well assign backspace to the Enter key.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

InDesign is available as a single application subscription. It doesn't include InCopy.

InCopy saves files as ICML. What are you going to with that as far as AEM or WordPress.

The right tool for the right job is what you should be thinking about. InCopy is specifically for working with content intended for InDesign!

Finally, if you still have suggestions, make them here: Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InCopy is NOT FREE with InDesign. It is included with the full Creative Cloud.

I have no idea why you think InCopy would be a good tool to use with anything but InDesign, but that's what it's for. If you want free, you can use the online version of Word or Google Docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free with InDesign as in if you have access to InDesign (because you have a CC subscription), you also have access to InCopy.

Not all data needs to be in the cloud, and why not use something that you are paying for anyway? Maybe InCopy is overkill for my use case. But that shouldn't matter. If I would be using all the features it has to offer, that would be even worse, because this issue makes it borderline unusable. So much so, that people who use InDesign actually are sent away with the words "use Word instead" because of this issue.

Wouldn't Adobe want people to use their software? And it's not a massive feature request, if the software indeed is incapable of behaving like any other program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is available as a single application subscription. It doesn't include InCopy.

InCopy saves files as ICML. What are you going to with that as far as AEM or WordPress.

The right tool for the right job is what you should be thinking about. InCopy is specifically for working with content intended for InDesign!

Finally, if you still have suggestions, make them here: Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. I wasn't aware of that.

The file format doesn't really matter, as long as copy & paste works. All I need is unformated text.

Word is less suited to the job, as is Google Docs or anything like that.

Interestingly, InDesign on Mac and Windows does exactly what I was looking for by default. Obviously it isn't right tool for the job though. It's quite odd that InCopy doesn't seem to have this option.

Anyway, I can't be the only one who quickly wants to delete words to the left of the cursor, because he wants to use a different word, phrase it differently etc.?

I was mostly interested in finding out if I have simply overlooked this option. I'll make the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BTW, I should add that I don’t disagree with the need for that shortcut. I got a bit wrapped up in your misunderstanding of the application itself.

InDesign does in fact allow this and I’m not sure why InCopy doesn’t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines