• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In 2020, does InCopy Template ( .icmt format) still exist?

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document open in InCopy, and I don't see any option to Save As InCopy Template. according to https://helpx.adobe.com/incopy/using/saving-exporting.html#incopy_file_types Template files (.icmt) Templates are useful starting points for stand-alone documents, because you can preset them with page size dimensions, text area dimensions, styles (paragraph and character), XML tags, swatches, pretagged sample content, and so on. Template files open as “Untitled” documents and display content and styles, but no page geometry (layout information from an InDesign document). This file type appears as InCopy Template in the Save As dialog box.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020
Like I said, you can't do it from there. You can only do it from an ICML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020
Yes, they are.

InCopy is an editorial application for editing content in an InDesign file or creating content for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of document do you have open. If you opened an assignment or an InDesign document that option would be unavailable.

It would be under File > Save Content As menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one of my company's typical .indd files (with InCopy stories) open in this screenshot. I've tried several InDesign files, but the Save Content As menu item is always grayed out, so I can't try it.

edit: oh, you said unavailable. What type of file format can I save it in, from InDesign, so that an InCopy user has the Save As menu item available? I'm an InDesign user, trying to create documents that InCopy users can save multiple versions of. That may not even be possible, but I'm stuck.

incopy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, you can't do it from there. You can only do it from an ICML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you. Only a single story can be Saved As an .icmt by an InCopy user. 

Which leads me back to the larger workflow question I'm trying to solve: Are InCopy users completely restricted from creating duplicates of entire InDesign documents - each duplicate having its own set of linked stories?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, they are.

InCopy is an editorial application for editing content in an InDesign file or creating content for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines