Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incopy assignment changes not visible

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created assignments from my indesign master on Mac and emailed the .icap files to my client working on a PC. He then downloaded them onto a server he shares with a colleague. They are both using the same InCopy licence (as it can be used on two computers). 

The first person opens the file, Checks out one of the copy boxes, makes a change, saves the change, checks in the file and closes it... When the second person opens the file, the change is not visible. 

When they open the file again they each see their own change but not the other persons change.... How can we solve this issue? 

TOPICS
Check in check out , InDesign workflow , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That workflow requires resaving the ICAP and sending it to another InCopy user and finally back to the InDesign users. It is filled with potential issues and I'm surprised to hear anyone is still using it.

The best advice I can give you is to abandon that workflow and put all the files in a shared Dropbox or Onedrive folder. This is far easier and more reliable. Everyone has access all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer. Do I have to recreate assigments or is it ok to drag and drop the whole indesign + assigment folder on the drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just copy everything into a shared folder and make sure the links survived the move. Then share the folder with the others.
BTW, there is no reason for an assignment, either. With such a small group, it's easier to just open the INDD file directly in InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I havce now set-up a OneDrive folder and shared it with my clients. The idea being, as you said, to work directly from the .icma files.

BUT. They cannot check out the documents and start editing. It shows as in the attached image. What are we doing wrong?

image001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Only one person at a time can check out a story. And again, don't bother with assignments...just open the INDD file directly from InCopy.

Also, be sure everyone has added the Onedrive folder to their own Onedrive and that it is fully synced to their local drives and not set as cloud-only.

If you mouse over the stories that are checked out, a tooltip should give you some information on who has it checked out.

Finally, there are missing fonts in that image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines