• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InCopy layout view dimensions are always US letter size

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to InCopy and I'm considering making it part of our workflow. However, the layout view doesn't seem to work.

We would use it for novels, that have trim dimensions of 5.5" x 8.25". However, in the layout view, the dimensions are always standard letter size, 8.5" x 11". Also, recto and versos don't match.

I've tried re-saving as IDML and still have the same issue.

See below.

InDesign view (correct):

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 5.32.56 PM.png

InCopy view (incorrect):

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 5.32.48 PM.png

It's really not even close. Any help would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

The Help file screen shot is incorrect. Yes you can open an ICML file (as shown) in InCopy, and in Layout view you can see the formatting of the text, but you won't see the story within the context of the design. The default page size for any ICML file in InCopy is letter size. But opening ICML files in InCopy is not commonly done; just for a couple special workflows.

The only way to see what the story (the ICML file) looks like in the layout is to open the layout file -- the INDD file -- in InCo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to open the INDD file if you want to see the layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help site from Adobe says otherwise. Note that they show an ICML file:

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 11.42.48 AM.png

I think my problem is the ICML files are opening as stand-alone, even though they are linked to an INDD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of arguing with me, open the INDD file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Help file screen shot is incorrect. Yes you can open an ICML file (as shown) in InCopy, and in Layout view you can see the formatting of the text, but you won't see the story within the context of the design. The default page size for any ICML file in InCopy is letter size. But opening ICML files in InCopy is not commonly done; just for a couple special workflows.

The only way to see what the story (the ICML file) looks like in the layout is to open the layout file -- the INDD file -- in InCopy. To do that, from InCopy's File menu, choose Open, and navigate to the INDD file. (If you try to double-click an INDD file in the Finder or Explorer, the OS will try to open it in InDesign).

Opening the INDD file in InCopy is the way that 95% of ID/IC teams manage the workflow. Then in InCopy, the editor can click inside the flowed story, check it out (give themselves editing privileges), and edit it, and they can see how the story reflows, if it fits, etc. When they save their changes to the content, the InDesign file is updated with them as well.

In fact the language used in that help file (in your screen shot) is really confusing. "When you use InCopy to synchronize with an InDesign layout" ... egads, the programs aren't "synchronized." The correct way to put it would be to say "When InCopy users edit stories linked to an InDesign layout."

I'm so sorry. It's so frustrating that Adobe would publish a help file that just muddies the waters.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

!!!

Anne Marie!! Such a fan. Thank you for the thoughtful response.

It does seem like there's a dearth of quality support for InCopy. I'd be the one leading the transition and educating the team, so it's a little unnerving. But it also seems incredibly useful, so... here we go!

Thanks again.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines