INCOPY "Cannot open XXXX because saved with a newer version" — However InCopy is up-to-date

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker is using Incopy to edit the text in my InDesign file. I recently updated InDesign and now she is getting this message: "Cannot open XXXX because saved with a newer version...". My first instinct was to have her update her InCopy, however even after updating her InCopy she is still receiving this message. What is the solution?

2019-11-20.png

TOPICS
Bug, InDesign workflow, Version and compatibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must both be on the same version. So, to use InDesign 2020, the InCopy user must be using InCopy 2020.

BTW, updating InCopy and upgrading it are two different things. Please confirm that both of you are on the same version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
laschinn AUTHOR
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm we went through this interface (see screenshot below) to update her version of InCopy. Is there something else we need to do to get us on the same page? Thank you for the help.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.27.32 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing there related to InCopy. Open InCopy and cmd+click on About InCopy.

If it's not 15.0 and showing InCopy 2020 in the title bar, it's not up to date and will not work with InDesign 2020.

Worth noting is that MacOS 10.13 is the minimum requirement.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
laschinn AUTHOR
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I was just put the screenshot there to show what pmethod we used to update her software. I don't have a screenshot of her screen. Hers is updated to 15.0 though, which is why we are confused about this error message.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good. The eliminates that.

Are you by chance working through Dropbox? If so, turn off the cloud-only syncing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
laschinn AUTHOR
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good thought but unfortunately, no. We are working through Box (more specifically Box Sync).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could still be the issue. Are the files fully synced to everyone's local harddrive?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
laschinn AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, files are fully synced!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines