Incopy so slow it is unusable

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a MacBook pro 2017 - That is an i7 quad-core with 16 Gb Ram plus Radeon Video card.  I have a 1Tb SSD drive

I'm running the latest version of Incopy CC

I have a file open that has about 26 pages

mostly just text.  The text includes both Hebrew and English.

I've set the settings of display for high performance (rather than quality)

Incopy rendering of text, and simple things like TYPING!!!!! results in a pinwheel (beachball) every moment.  This is ridiculous.  I can't use it, because it is obstructing my workfllow.  Photoshop CC and lllustrator CC are 10 times faster.  For comparison, I can edit a 600 Mb illustrator file with no lag with no problems.  Incopy is horrendously slow.  What surprises me is that the developers don't check their software and see how it is used by actual professionals on the latest hardware.  I feel this product is antiquated when I use it.  This is a serious software flaw.  Incopy is not handling the RAM properly if it can't do simple tasks like render typing in real time without lag!!!!

Please fix this asap!!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Community Beginner , Jul 16, 2018
danielf37496566 Community Beginner , Jul 16, 2018
After speaking with a nice technical support guy, it seems the issue has to do with a complex file handled by inCopy.  Having complex scripts such as Hebrew and English in the footnotes and text with lots of writing, it seems to have a slowing effect on the program.  This issue is not in InDesign.  I contend this is a bug.  The file is handled just fine in Microsoft Word.

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi danielf,

Sorry to hear about this. Did you try resetting InCopy preferences? If not, please do and check if that helps in the performance. Here's a help article with details: InCopy Help | Customizing preferences and defaults

Regards,

Om

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preferences as you suggested (ironic since this is the first time I'm using it, and haven't set any preferences).

nonetheless, there was no observable difference.

I'm running an i7 quad-core macbook pro! and it takes 12 seconds and a beachball to italicize one word!!!!!!!!

that is seriously a problem!  It's using 500 Mb of RAM.

Admittedly I have 822 fonts installed.

Incopy took 18 seconds to load in contrast with Photoshop, which took 4 seconds to load

(I might add that my Photoshop has maxed out on the number of brushes you can install, and I have 1000s of Shapes).  Photoshop struggles to scroll through all the fonts, but takes about a second to load them.  On my Macbook Air, Photoshop battled to load 392 fonts, and took about 12 seconds to load them. (it takes 975 Mb of RAM)

Indesign (which takes up 1.4 Gb of RAM) does not handle Hebrew so well (takes about 4 seconds to change a style from bold to medium) instantly italicizes the Latin-based Garamond.

Indesign takes 21 seconds to load.  Indesign has no presets or additional plugins.

There are some serious memory issues causing Incopy to do this.  If I were the team leader for Incopy I would do a complete redesign from the ground up for Incopy for Mac.  It seems to me it was simply ported from the Windows version.  I'm ready to go back to Microsoft Word which is more reliable in terms of my work flow!

DF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your operating system on the Mac a clean install or did you do an inplace upgrade. What you’re describing is typical of a bad upgrade and I always do clean installs (though, I’ve pretty much gone all Windows lately.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a brand new computer (it is literally about 3 weeks old)

and has not been upgraded.

From the comparison with Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Indesign you see that it has nothing to do with standard slowness issues.

If it were a general case of slowness then it would be reflected not in one app/program but multiple apps.

You're talking to an experienced Developer and Power user.  As another example of the speed of the computer it took 20 minutes to install a fully functional Virtual Machine (I needed to do some work with Linux) - it literally took 15 minutes to install a 4 Gb iso file.

As a comparison, I usually set aside about 2 hours to set up a new Virtual Machine on one of my old single-core computers. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DF,

Thanks for the additional details. Can you reach out to us via phone or chat here? Contact Customer Care

We'll need to troubleshoot this further in a one-on-one session as it sounds unusual and a non-generic issue. Thanks!

Regards,

Om

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After speaking with a nice technical support guy, it seems the issue has to do with a complex file handled by inCopy.  Having complex scripts such as Hebrew and English in the footnotes and text with lots of writing, it seems to have a slowing effect on the program.  This issue is not in InDesign.  I contend this is a bug.  The file is handled just fine in Microsoft Word.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for updating the thread. Please use this link: Adobe InDesign Feedback to submit the bug, if you haven't. I'll report it as well to the product team.

Regards,

Om

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines