• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indd CC 2018 files show as Indd CS 5.5 files. No InDesign installed.

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team recently updated across the board to CC 2018. The designers updated first to InDesign and the editors followed with the update to InCopy.

Immediately after installing InCopy CC 2018, I noticed the InDesign files on our server were appearing as CS 5.5 InDesign files. I contacted support about it, and the fix was to install InDesign on my computer and open all the design files and resave them. I didn't need to do that. As soon as InDesign was installed, all the files appeared as the newest versions. However, I immediately uninstalled InDesign because I'm an editor and don't need access to it. After uninstalling, all the files reverted back to CS 5.5 icons.

We haven't had any compatibility issues, but it is a future concern because my computer thinks they are CS 5.5 files. I would hate for an update to be made that would cause corruption because the new programs couldn't read the old file types.

I saw the InCopy update this morning and hoped the bug would be among the fixes, but it wasn't.

Does anyone know what's going on and have a solution other than installing a program I don't need just so my icons are the right file type?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it. If the files open, that’s all that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a bug. The operating system, especially Mac, only knows about the latest version installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I've never had CS 5.5 installed on this computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's back up.

What version of InDesign/InCopy are installed? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running CC 2018 InCopy only, no InDesign on this machine. I updated to OS High Sierra in order to update from InCopy CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it. If the files open, that’s all that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mmoul,

This seems to be a file association issue and Bob explained in detail. As per your file opening query, forward compatibility should not be an issue and you should be able to open files created in older version in a newer version app.

You can also try to change the default app to open these files to CC 2018 by checking the file info.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines