• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file that refuses to open in usable form

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing a Lynda.com course Learning InCopy. All was going well until lesson 2, when I had to open one of the exercise files ''story.indd' and found that although it opens all the text is greyed and a little window informed me "because this document contains no InCopy stories, galley view and story view are not available'.  I can select the various 'stories' on the spreads shown but cannot edit them. I have contacted Lynda.com but they say they have tested the exercise and it works fine for them. They advised me to download the latest version of InCopy, but I have that so that can't be the source of the problem. Any ideas? If I am having this problem with a 'test' file I fear I may have it with real jobs (I am a freelance editor)/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the assignments panel. Do you see InCopy content there?

Check the links panel as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly  a  reply button has appeared! Sorry to be so slow, I seem to be having problems with websites as well. I have now heard from Lynda.com - apparently I am not supposed to be able to open the file concerned in InCopy. Bit strange that they include it in a course on Incopy...!! Thanks for trying to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol.  My guess is that Chad (the teacher, right?) needed to demo what happens if you try to open an unprepared INDD file in InCopy. A very common error.

The prep step is that the designer needs to export the content to InCopy  format from within InDesign. If the InCopy user jumps the  gun, you get  that "There Are No InCopy Stories"  alert. (However the content is  still selectable  ... you  can  copy and paste  it to another doc ... and if  you switch the  View  to Preview,  you'll see all t he text and images, undimmed.)

You  can also print or export to PDF from within InCopy,  even if you can't  edit it.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Anne Marie. I did have quite a bit of correspondence with Lynda.com which revealed that that part of the course was for Indesign users - a bit odd considering it's marketed as an InCopy course! But I will make a note of your advice as it could well prove useful in future.I am now working on my first InCopy job - my client and I are both feeling our way somewhat on this! Thanks your your advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll do a little shameless self promoting here. I’ve been doing InDesign/InCopy Q&A sessions via skype lately. If you’re interested: https://www.theindesignguy.com/consulting-and-training/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I will look at your website. I don't do Skype!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It’s free and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines