• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign shuts down...A serious error was detected.

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this alert after opening an InDesign document and then updating an ".icml" link. I'm having no other issues with InDesign files, only those that have changes made in InCopy.

The document is created using InDesign CS6 and worked on with InCopy CS6 (latest versions). I am able to open the InDesign file as long as I don't update all the links when opening the file. I've tried isolating which ".icml" link is causing the problem without success.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Unknown.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have this problem occasionally too, and no idea why it is happening.

Be great if someone was able to shed some light on this problem.

At the moment the only workaround is:

- find an icml file needing updating, delete it from assignment.

- cut and paste new content from the inCopy .icma files into the appropriate textbox in inDesign, using the pasteboard preference to maintain all information.

- recreate the icml assignment.

- repeat for each icml that needs updating.

I think it only happens with text content - not pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this problem and when I think I know how to correct it...surprise another crash.

Can you explain your work around? When I try using the pasteboard, I loose all text formatting.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on the phone with Adobe Support this morning, and recreated the problem with the support person via Adobe Connect.

They say the problem is that my computer is connected to a network (ethernet). Please, someone tell me this is not so.

I tried to explain to support that the workflow worked perfectly with CS5.5...the problem started with a CS6 upgrade (clean install). The CS6 upgrade was the only thing that changed on my computer. (I've duplicated the same problem on another computer in another location.)

I'm hopeful someone that reads these forums are having the same problem and can offer a solution.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgsculpture wrote:

I've been on the phone with Adobe Support this morning, and recreated the problem with the support person via Adobe Connect.

They say the problem is that my computer is connected to a network (ethernet). Please, someone tell me this is not so.

This is utter nonsense (not you, the reason). Are you on Windows or Mac? Have you tried trashing your preferences?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree any more with you, Bob. I told Adobe support that I understood how InDesign/InCopy linked files and it had nothing to do with my computer being connected to a network.

(Since then, I have disconnected from the network and recreated the InCopy assisgnments/links and still get a crash.)

I am on a Mac. Both Indesign & InCopy are the latestest versions. I have trashed preferences and I have clean installed both. I have reinstalled the Adobe Open Type fonts that the publication uses.

I have duplicated the crashing problem on another Mac in a different location.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert at reading them but post the crash report on pastebin.com

and then post a link to it here and we'll see what's up.

Quick questions first: Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!

No third party plug-ins. Everything is Adobe products, latest version.

http://pastebin.com/MbEKpPnZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert at reading them but post the crash report on pastebin.com

and then post a link to it here and we'll see what's up.

Quick questions first: Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't even get my file to stay open long enough to try this option. Every time I scroll to a new page the program shuts down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are your document is corrupted somehow. But when you get a protective shutdown, the next step is to open ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 8.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/ProtectiveShutdownLog and see what it says. Each time InDesign crashes w/ a protective shutdown it will append a new dump. You might want to upload it to http://pastebin.com/ as well.

You crash report suggests the problem has something to do with updating links, but that's not very helpful since that's clear from your narrative.

You said you could not isolate the problem -- so if you work with a copy and you delete all but one of the ICML links, the problem remains?

It's not implausible that all are corrupted in the same way, or damaged, or whatnot.

Have you tried exporting the InDesign file as IDML and opening that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

In one of the other thread that had a crash I didn't recognize, a user suggested: Open Terminal, copy/paste: sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force and I think I've seen that suggested in a few other crash threads as well.

I wonder if you think that might help -- seems like this crash also involves the dylibrary, but perhaps it's not the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think running update_dyld_shared_cache will never cause a problem, though I don't understand any reason why it would be necessary (I don't disbelieve that it has helped). Dynamic libraries are everywhere...you would be hard pressed to find a crash report that does not involve them somewhere. (Though whether the code that crashes is in a library versus in a non-library application module is probably a 50/50 tossup. Or maybe 30/70?)

As I understand it, update_dyld_shared_cache should only affect systemwide dylibs, and those should never change outside of an OS update or whatnot (maybe a virus?...).

So, feel free to try it, but I'm skeptical it'll do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you help.

I have deleted all of the ICML files that have caused the shutdown, ran the document back through InCopy and made more changes to a couple ICML linked files. A crash still occurs.

I have started with a fresh copy of the original publication and made only one ICML file. Made one text change in InCopy. A crash still occurs when trying to accept the change.

There is no "Adobe Indesign" folder in the ~/Library/Caches/~ path you mention above on my computer. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

I'm currently recreating portions of my magazine from a new InDesign file...My fingers are crossed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After deleting all of the InCopy content, I would export the file to

IDML and open that.

It really sounds like the INDD file has some corruption in it somewhere

and that could clear it out.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported to IDML and opened that...but, once I try to accept changes made in InCopy, I get the the nasty-"serious error shutdown."

I can still use my InDesign file and make the changes that are needed and package for print, but a major part of our workflow is useless right now on this magazine. Grrrrrrr

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to release a 60 chapter book to our editors in InCopy. Needless to say I am very nervous. (I will be backing-up those InDesign files everywhere I can find a spot tonight!)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to pull all of the InCopy content out by killing the links to

the content. At that point you have a simple InDesign document.

Export that to IDML, open the IDML in InDesign and then recreate the

assignments and stories for InCopy.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I killed and trashed all the InCopy links to to my InDesign document, then saved, closed and reopened. Exported file to IDML then opened it and recreated the assignments.

Made changes in InCopy, open new InDesign file, accept change...Crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Adobe Indesign" folder in the ~/Library/Caches/~ path you mention above on my computer. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Err...maybe? Did you find ~/Library/Caches?

Note that since Lion (and thus for you), ~/Library is hidden. I should have pointed that out.

You can get there by going to the Finder and typing Cmd-shift-g, and entering ~/Library.

(There are other ways too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I found it this morning.

http://pastebin.com/QE8tHCVt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, did you look at the report? It's actually a lot clearer than I had expected:

Unhandled error condition

Session started up at 7:10 AM on Monday, January 14, 2013

Version: 8.0.1 - Build: 406

Error Code 0x20705: "The content is locked and cannot be modified."

Called to process command 0x1352f

Command Processor Stack (from top to bottom):

6. Command 0x13517 "Delete Hyperlink Destination"

5. Command Sequence "Re-import File"

4. Command 0x7314 "Re-import File"

3. Command Sequence "Update"

2. Command Sequence ""

1. Command 0x8c59 "Update Link"

and alo the other one:

Error Code 0x20705: "The content is locked and cannot be modified."

Called to process command 0x1352f

Command Processor Stack (from top to bottom):

9. Command 0x13517 "Delete Hyperlink Destination"

8. Command Sequence "Re-import File"

7. Command 0x7314 "Re-import File"

6. Command Sequence "Update"

5. Command Sequence ""

4. Command 0x8c59 "Update Link"

3. Command 0x18e38 "Relink Story"

2. Command Sequence "Relink Story"

1. Command Sequence "Update Story"

So, in both cases, InDesign crashed because it encountered something that was locked while it was trying to delete a hyperlink destination (or crossreference) while updating a linked file (presumably incopy file).

So, if your document makes use of locked objects, or hyperlink destinations, you can mess around with them and try to see if you can eliminate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ha!

I use a good amount of master page items in this publication...both text and graphics. There might be some hyperlinks still in the document from imported text.

I'll create a document with blank master pages and delete the links and see what happens.

Thanks So Much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have pulled two articles out of my newsletter and created new InDesign files (9-pages each, with images and tables) and got them to work correctly. Up next is a 1-page article that is just text and after making a change in InCopy, it crashes when I accept the change in InDesign. I then create a simple page with one text box with all the text on this page, formatted as it will appear in the final layout...same thing happens...crash when accepting an InCopy change in InDesign.

http://pastebin.com/xGQCvBmt

I will soon be bald. 🙂

Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 11.08.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're sure there are no cross-references or hyperlinks?

Try deleting the first half of the file and seeing if it fails.

If it does, then delete the 2nd half and see?

Keep deleting halves to isolate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for all your help.

No cross references or hyperlinks. (See screen shot)

I got the workflow to work after deleting the last subhead and bullet text.

Makes no sense to me.

Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 12.19.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-01-14 at 12.20.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines