• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign shuts down...A serious error was detected.

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this alert after opening an InDesign document and then updating an ".icml" link. I'm having no other issues with InDesign files, only those that have changes made in InCopy.

The document is created using InDesign CS6 and worked on with InCopy CS6 (latest versions). I am able to open the InDesign file as long as I don't update all the links when opening the file. I've tried isolating which ".icml" link is causing the problem without success.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Unknown.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a coworker getting the same error under the same circumstances: "Error Code 0x20705: "The content is locked and cannot be modified."", as recorded in the ProtectiveShutdownLog file. It happens when importing InCopy content. We'll try the suggestions of how to isolate the issue, and report back if we find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also want to see if you have a lot of tracked changes that have not been accepted. That will hog the memory as Indesign/Incopy try to keep track of all those changes. We had this problem and went into the stories in Indesign via the Story Editor, after updating the links, and accepted all tracked changes. This fixed the problem in a file that was crashing.

It may not fix your problem, but worth checking. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Track changes. I'll check on that.

Just jumping into this thread as we are having the same problem. The only group here at work that is NOT having this problem is using DropBox. The freelancer in that project cannot use our file servers because of University firewalls. I am switching the current project that is crashing like this to a shared DropBox folder. If we no longer have any problems, I think it's safe to say that it is some networking issue between InCopyCS6 and InDesignCS6 and how they connect through a file server. At this point though, I would consider the InCopy>InDesign workflow unreliable and we are going to stop using it until this gets solved.

I'll let everyone know what we come up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DropBox didn't work either. I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue we had was this:

If a url (just text containing url syntax, not a hyperlink destination) was in a locked box (in our case, in the folio on a master page) InDesign would shut down when updating InCopy stories.

This is a confirmed bug with InDesign and Adobe may have a fix in a coming dot-release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really. Not even one with a an actual hyperlink? Well the doc we are currently having issues with has a URL in the header. Hmmm. Now I've got something to try. Thanks. I'll report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. We did not have any actual hyperlinks, just text formatted as http://www. some url. com (without the spaces of course) in a text box on a master page. Those folios got on the text layer and exported. Even though we were not editing or updating those folios/ stories, updating ANY other story in the document caused the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'll be. That looks like it was the problem. Both of the documents I was currently having problems with had URLs on the master pages. Not any live links, just the syntax like you suggested. The first thing I did was simply delete them and tried doing an update content and it worked. The second thing I did was just unlock them (disassociate them from the Master Page) and that worked too. I guess we have a workaround, but it's too bad the bug has no fix yet.

Still, the strange thing with this is that one of the documents I am having trouble with is a periodical that is generated off of a template file. I've been making these since we got CS6 last fall, and it's only now been a problem. Thanks for the timely comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issues.  Our designers originally had built pages in Indesign CS5.5.  The issue started with the upgrade to Indesign CS6.  We have found that if we build a new Indesign page new in Indesign CS6 we do not run into the issue.

Could it be some legacy code in the 5.5 files that are causing the crashing issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattburgess wrote:

Could it be some legacy code in the 5.5 files that are causing the crashing issue?

Oh, almost certainly. That doesn't help much with resolution though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates on a fix for Incopy CS6 and Incopy Indesign CS6?

We had to downgrade back to CS5.5 for Indesign.  I fear with the release of Incopy CC they will ignore this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This has probably got nothing to do with these crashes.

I was working in InCopy 5.5 Mac and had track changes on. I made some changes to a footnote. We have a script that allows you see changes in the layout view. The script showed changes in the footnote, which is odd because track changes are not supposed to work in footnotes.

I wonder how elegantly InDesign will handle the track changes in the footnote. ID 5.5 didn't seem to mind on this occasion.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had such terrible issues with Track Changes (for several versions now) that we have had to abandon it completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that the ProtectiveShutdownLog log entry about "Delete Hyperlink Destination" is not part of my issue. Here is my pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/jdJve3si

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue/error message happening this morning. Although I'm not using InCopy, I am using CS6 (on a network, for whatever that's worth).

The simple method of resetting InDesign's preferences did the trick for me.

Double-click the ID app-icon in the Applications folder while holding Shift+ctrl+alt+CMD.

ID will ask you to reset preferences, click "Yes".

I realize this doesn't solve the above problems that have been described using InCopy, but it may be a fix for others like me, who have experienced this problem using IDCS6.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my own experiences here. My own most recent crash:

Adobe InDesign Protective Shutdown Log

Tue Aug 20 15:31:36 2013

Unhandled error condition

Session started up at 3:12 PM on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Version: 8.0.1 - Build: 406

Error Code 0x20705: "The content is locked and cannot be modified."

Called to process command 0x7313

Command Processor Stack (from top to bottom):

5. Command Sequence "Re-import File"

4. Command 0x7314 "Re-import File"

3. Command Sequence "Update"

2. Command Sequence ""

1. Command 0x8c59 "Update Link"

Steps taken:

1. Unlink InCopy story that crashed, re-export

2. Unlink InCopy story that crashed, relink

3. Unlink 'bad' InCopy story, then open the InCopy story *in InCopy,* copy content back into InDesign, re-export

4. Unlink InCopy stories, save as IDML, re-open, re-export

5. Create new blank InDesign file, copy master pages, then doc pages, then import pstyles cstyles, then import object styles, re-export. (This worked.)

Here's my error log: http://pastebin.com/Ct0JTzSg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines