Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue With InCopy File Name Characters Changing

Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 64 bit InCopy and InDesign 15.0.1

I work on creating product manuals in InDesign. I then have to export the text frames and graphics into InCopy assignment files. These get zipped up and sent out to a few translation companies. After a company translates these, they zip them back up and send them back to me where I link them back up to a copy of the InDesign file, which has the language name appended into the file name to distiunguish it from the orginal English version. 

I recently got a Japanese translation back, but the InCopy file names have been altered. Here's an example of how a file name reads when I generate the InC:

itm_ref1_Japanese-初級4フルプログ

When I get it back, the same file looks like this:

itm_ref1_Japanese-精索.icml

This happens whether the translator is on Windows or a Mac. They are on the same version of InCopy as I am. I'm using the Noto Sans CJK jp regular for the typeface. The translator uses Kozuka Mincho PR6N.

Anyone know what's causing this?

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.
TOPICS
Assignments , InDesign workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of the software you are using?

I would suspect the issue is when the translation company saves the file after translation, their computer replaces characters. Is there a way to use 'simpler' file naming convention, maybe with numbers instead of characters that are not stable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows 10 64 bit InCopy and InDesign 15.0.1 

So if the translator modifies one or more InCopy files, checks them back in and saves upon exiting InCopy, the file names change(?) 

I need to get with the translation company and have them take a screen shot of these files, right before they get zipped up and sent back to me. They are on a Mac, so I also want to find out what typeface is being used by the OS in Finder. The company is based in Japan, so I have to assume the native language of the OS is Japanese. It appears that the characters are changing due to whatever typeface is applied by the OS. It's possible too, I'm guessing, that the files look correct on their end, but are changing when I download and unpack them. I think a screen shot will help me sort this out.

Thanks for your reply. It's giving me some things to think about on how to resolve this.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines