Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Incopy users defaulting to outdated content when launching a file,

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I work in a group that has been using the Incopy Workflow for a little over three years. We've had great success with templated flyers, letters and reports for our multi-departmental clients as they are able to edit on their own with little supervision from our design team until we facilitate print production.

Within the past 6 months we've been running into issues where the Incopy users have to manually update the content (in the assignments panel) every time they launch the Indd file in Incopy. The change in workflow has prompted a lot of panic in our users (that their original work was not saved the last time they used the program — the view of the file defaults to the last time the file was saved in InDesign) and this has taken a lot of time away from their typical Incopy workflow. It has also led to collaboration issues, as the collaborators will not necessarily see the revised changes their peers have done (because it defaults to the stage of when the Indd was last saved in InDesign, as if it is a saved Indesign history state). This change in the program has led to clients abandoning the Incopy Workflow, which is not ideal for us or them.

The previous workflow would be that when the Incopy user launched the Indd file in Incopy, they would automatically be prompted by a pop-up to update the links to the current content (or to say that "Incopy detected that there is some content that is out-of-date — would you like to update that content?"). We've been able to teach our clients to go to the assignments panel to manually update the links, but it hasn't helped their panic or their time savings.

I've flipped through the preferences panel (both in Incopy and Indesign), and haven't been able to find anything that would allow us to make this prompt come back on. I've also checked all of their permissions for files on our servers which isn't an issue.

Is there anything else that would be causing this issue? How can we get back to our previous workflow? Is this a known issue in the latest update of Incopy CC 2017 or is there something on our end that is causing this problem?

Most of our Incopy collaborators are on PC's and are using the latest CC Incopy software and OS'. Our design team is using the latest CC InDesign software, but are on Macs (of all different OS'). These files live on an encrypted file share maintained by our IT Department. Our institution's internet connection is speedy, so that cannot be the solution to this problem.

Thanks,

-d

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

sounds like a bug to me! I'd definitely report it here Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check in /preferences/File Handling that "Check links before opening doc" is well checked ?

Apart from that scripts can deactivate user interaction preventing alerts to pop up. Is it possible you ran a script which did so ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loic.Aigon, We have checked preferences and have had no luck with this pop-up coming back. Our Incopy users are definitely not script enthusiasts, so it would be very, very long shot that the 6 Incopy users that are using the program would have all run a deactivation script that prevents the pop-up.

AnneMarie (Hi! I attended PepCon a couple of years ago and am a frequent Indesign Secrets user! Thank you for all that you do!), I have not done a hard reboot of the preferences, I have only reset the preferences in the Preference panel. I've been contemplating rebuilding their preference libraries to see if the prompt would come back.

The 4 Indesign users/designers are not having the same problem. They automatically get the prompt that says the ICML's are out-of-date (when they open the file in Indesign) and gives the designer the option to update with that prompt. All the designers do have Incopy as well, and they are having the missing prompt issue when they open the file in Incopy. 

I can try to troubleshoot doing the hard rebuild of an incopy user's preference library this afternoon, unless you can think of any other solutions that may be causing this prompt to go away.

Thank you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you rebuilt preferences for the InCopy users? I'd try that first.

Are the InDesign users having the same issue? (When they open the layout, the ICML stories remain out of date until they manually update them?)

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've now rebuilt preferences in Incopy and done some considerable testing with our Incopy users. Form what we can tell, the issue may be specifically with checking in and out images and that may be throwing the preferences off kilter.

We've been able to have Incopy function appropriately (all modified ICMLs load automatically when you rebuild the preferences in Incopy no matter how many times you check out/in the text-based ICMLs). However, Incopy turns back into a delinquent when we check out and update image-based ICMLs.

When Incopy users check out the image-based ICMLs, Incopy reverts back to the original preference issue in this thread (where the images and text don't update when Incopy launches an INDDs). Could this be a bug that happens when Incopy interacts with image replacement/changes? Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like a bug to me! I'd definitely report it here Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any feedback on this Danielle? Did Adobe reply when you posted it as a bug?

Did the 2018.1 update released last week fix the problem?

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines