• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One or more assignment files cannot be found...

Participant ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with multiple files that are often versions of one another. Rather than starting from scratch on some that are very similar, I unlink the assignments of one file and do a "save as" to create the new file, then create new assignments in the new folder. This works fine, but each time I open the file, I get the message "One or more assignment files cannot be found...". The new assignment files are there, are linked and work fine. Anyone know how to clear out the file's memory of the old assignment links?

TOPICS
Assignments

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Hmmm. There are two things that need to be unlinked when you save a version: If you're using Assignment files (.icma), you need to delete those from the Assignment panel. When you do that, all the linked stories (.icml) get moved to the Unassigned InCopy Content category in that panel. You select all the stories there and click the Unlink (trashcan) icon at the bottom of the Assignments panel.

Then you do the Save As. Then you jump to the server and delete the old assignment files and incopy stor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. There are two things that need to be unlinked when you save a version: If you're using Assignment files (.icma), you need to delete those from the Assignment panel. When you do that, all the linked stories (.icml) get moved to the Unassigned InCopy Content category in that panel. You select all the stories there and click the Unlink (trashcan) icon at the bottom of the Assignments panel.

Then you do the Save As. Then you jump to the server and delete the old assignment files and incopy stories there, which InDesign does not do.

Then you go back to the ID file and re-export the stories to InCopy Assignments.

With the ID/IC workflow, you're not supposed to be creating versions of the ID file. It kinda defeats the purpose. Once you've made stories editable to InCopy, that's the ID file that ultimately gets packaged for the printer.

If for your own reasons you really need to have versions of the ID file (again, that's a very rare case w/all my IC/ID clients of all sizes), you need to do the whole Clear the Decks routine outlined in the first two paragraphs.

Are you doing that already? It wasn't clear from your description.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnneMarie,

That solved the problem. I had been unlinking the files using the Links palette instead of the Assignments palette. Once I unlinked them in the Assignments palette the way you described, the message disappeared.

I realize that saving versions was not the best use of InCopy assignments. In the end, the job consisted of about 150 separate one page inserts with many being version of one another. I used the InCopy assignments so that I could work on the file while the writers were in the files.

Thanks for the explanation.

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it helped!

Ah, after your explanation, it sounds like a smart workflow solution to me. Good work!

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's an easier way, as well as follow the steps in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT96HuOy4rw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines