• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Version control and duplicating files and links in InCopy

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am working with a colleague to create booklets that run termly and am coming across issues between versions either within InCopy or between InCopy and InDesign.

One example is as follows: I set up a fresh document (based on the previous term's file) and save it for my colleague to work on in InCopy, which works fine. The issue arises when I then open that file in InDesign after he has worked on it and click to update the contents, it loses his updates and reverts to old content.

Another example is: When my colleague has finished updating a version in InCopy, he'd like to be able to go back a version to check something or to simply work on that previous file, but he can't because although he may have saved later versions of the InCopy file, the links are for the latest version rather than the one he has opened to work on.

My final example is: once a project is complete, how do you save the file and links so that you can use it next term? For instance, in InDesign, you 'package' a job once completed, which gathers everything used into a new folder for print or later use.

I hope all that makes sense?!

Thanks,

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Assuming you’re working on some type of server or even Dropbox, make sure everything is syncing properly and that your colleague is opening the INDD file, checking out the content and then checking it back in.

InDesign and InCopy have a track changes feature. Use it.

Finally, I would never re-use a file like that. In fact, when a project is done, it’s best to delete all of the InCopy links to avoid having them changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you’re working on some type of server or even Dropbox, make sure everything is syncing properly and that your colleague is opening the INDD file, checking out the content and then checking it back in.

InDesign and InCopy have a track changes feature. Use it.

Finally, I would never re-use a file like that. In fact, when a project is done, it’s best to delete all of the InCopy links to avoid having them changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at the point of no return with conflicts between my InDesign files and InCopy. I must have a problem with different versions. I have decided I don't need Incopy and I just want to eliminate it. I can uninstall the software, but what happens to my files that are linked to InCopy. I tried using the track changes feature, etc. Nothing works and I would give anything to have never installed Incopy. I am using Adobe CC 2018 InDesign and I am an experienced user. Since the Adobe "customer care" line is a total joke, I need to rely on fellow users. Any help you can give me might mean the difference between making a deadline or not. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post makes zero sense. Please take a deep breath and give us a detailed explanation of what’s happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your observation that my request for assistance made zero sense, Bob. I clearly need to work on my communication skills. As for taking a deep breath, I am breathing just fine – but thanks for your concern. I’m sure I can work through these pesky little glitches when I’m feeling more rational. In the meantime, I’ll let you respond to the many folks who have problems that are more worthy of your valuable time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am working on a project structured very similarly to yours and am experiencing the exact same issues.

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. At the moment I am copying the InDesign file, deleting the links and creating a new assignment file for each issue. It seems like there should be a much easier way to do this.

I am used to copying my files as I am working on them to have manual file-backups, but this does not seem to work in InCopy like that.

All I can tell you, is that the updating and reverting back to the old version of the file has nothing to do with synchronisation issues like @BobLevine said. A copied InDesign file seems to always keep its links to the original assignment file created. The Only way I found to circumvent that problem is to create a fresh assignment for the new content … this means though, that the original assignment file needs to be deleted which makes looking at an older version impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines