• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does InDesign stop responding when I try to update InCopy Stories?

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have formatted a 224 page catalog using master pages for each section and it includes multiple InCopy Stories. The file is 224 page not broken out into chapters. I have linked boxes, one image that is anchored to every text box and repeated on every page and I have created a generated index which pulls the titles from each page to create the index. This mean that every title on almost every page includes a “tag” so that it can be included in the generated list.

I have tried splitting up the stories so each section has 20 stories or so, and I have also tried making one “long” story that includes 20 pages. Either way, InDesign stops responding.

I do not send stories out as packages. They are accessed on one central drive and the InDesign files are also on the same drive. There are only two editors that access these stories, besides myself. I don't think it's an InCopy issue but it might be. I have tried for several months to figure out this issue but have not been successful. Due to this large project, it would be great to have our editors make their own grammatical edits and updates!

Do you think this document is too complicated and that is why it crashes? My platform is PC and I have using InDesign CC 2017 and InCopy CC 2017

Please help!

Ann-Marie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Hi,

Please package the entire document upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send the document link to santalwa@adode.com.

To package the document, Go to File -> Package

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please package the entire document upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send the document link to santalwa@adode.com.

To package the document, Go to File -> Package

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sanyam,

we have exatly the same problem. We and the editorial office of monthly magazine and organized a new workflow with InDesign and InCopy. Yesterday we finished the project, but it was a bit horrible. The magazine has roundabout 124 pages or 180 pages. Lot of information and roundabout 300 / 400 pictures. I am the designer and i organized the workflow in different categories. These categories are also the tasks for InCopy / InDesign. There are roundabout 3-5 editors which work with InCopy. Two or three editors in the office, two editors outside the office. That's the reason because we had organized all files in a dropbox account and every worker has access to this central cloud server.

The workflow is good, but the problem is, that InDesign or InCopy crashes constantly if we refresh one or more tasks, boom. Its very horrible, and we made every 1 or 2 hours a backup from the indesign file. i don't now what happens, but i think such a workflow should work with these professional tools. i ask me, if the information of these magazine is too much for this workflow? i find out a temporary solution and saved the original indesign file as a .idml file. i opened this .idml file, checked it and have overwritten the original CC 2017 indesign file as a new file. (save as...) then i opened this new file and after this process it was possible to refresh the tasks and it works, until the next crash.

And now we have the problem that the next issue is coming up in view days and we have no solution for a stable workflow. i have read lot of sites, watching movies and asked other users. Today i had a chat with your german support but i have the feeling that these guys are not the experts that we need. they send me links how i can learn InCopy, but i have already read all these links.

They have suggest me that our data should hold at a local file server, and not in the cloud / dropbox. And they told me, that i should use the Adobe Cloud, that should work. Hmmmm. I don't now, if this solve our problem. Whats the difference between a stable running dropbox and the adobe cloud?

Please find a solution with us

Thanks
Toby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines