Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

accessibility PDF Split footnotes across pages

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on Accessibility PDF.

InDesign able to create footnotes reading order properly if there were no split footnotes.

If there were split footnotes, wrong footnotes getting read making continuous footnote on next page as first footnote then the total reading order of footnote got changes.

Any one came across this issue.

Please advise.

Shaji

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Type | Footnote Options | Layout, have you unchecked "Allow Split Footnotes"?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

Its a proper paginated file, with split footnote, template we have enabled. Its related to accessibility content reading. 12th foonote is deading continued footnote 2lines, 13th reading 12th footnote, after that all order are changed in reading.

Screenshot 2022-09-27 123412.png

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the problem, although I rarely get into accessibility issues. As @Peter Kahrel notes, it may be a bug that has been around for a while.

My concerns/questions would be first that it's a template, which may not have been constructed with accessibility in mind, and seeing if turning off split footnotes solves the accessibility issue.

It should be possible to have split footnotes on the pages that are read in correct order and I think many documents perform properly in this way, but try turning off split formats, exporting to PDF and seeing if the read-order problem goes away.

Then we can figure out how to combine the two features if you really need split footnotes at all.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this has been reported as a bug more than once. Please look around on the web for more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you James and Peter.

@James Gifford—NitroPress Its a journal, as per journal specfiication it needs split footnote.

We cannot uncheck it, Mean while i inform paginator try to accomodate footnote in pages itself, still long footnote will be nightmare. 

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines