• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessibility Reading order not come as single (container) while creating tagged pdf from InDesign

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using InDesig 2023 I just placed some paragraphs and create Interactive PDF with tagged PDF option enabled.  While checking the reading order it put reading order 1 is heading no issue from 2 to 7 separate reading order for single para.

Becuase of the separate reading order for each and everyline while reading in JAWS screen reader for each line I need to press down arrow. 

There is any option to fix single reading order number while exporting tagged PDF from InDesign.
InDesign output PDF

Ganesh_In_0-1668163011584.png

For the same paragraph if we tag in PDF it say only single reading order. Please refer the below screenshot. If I read the 2 reading order in JAWS reader it read continuously.

Ganesh_In_1-1668163093377.png

Thanks

Ganesh.R

Accessibility Reading order not come as single (container) while creating tagged pdf from InDesign

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the Article panel? And in the Article panel menu button flyout, did you turn on "Use for Tagging Order in PDF"?

And when exporting a PDF, did you turn on "Use Structure for Tag Order" and "Create Tagged PDF"?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mike Witherell 

I already checked the above option but it not works. please refer the below screenshot. I attached InDesign file for your reference. Other than this there is any option to tag as single reading while exporing into pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ganesh_In, after looking at your screen captures, your page layout has a lot of separate text frames that are not threaded into one continuous story. Learn how to do this at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/threading-text.html 

Becuase of the separate reading order for each and everyline while reading in JAWS screen reader for each line I need to press down arrow.

You're seeing the individual content containers (the yellow boxes in the tag tree), InDesign creates these for each line of text because InDesign composes type (aka, typesetting).

Having a content container for each line does not affect accessibility. Be concerned more about the tags that surround the content containers, and, of course, the tag reading order.

RE: JAWS, check that you're using the correct keyboard shortcut to have the screen reader read sequentially. JAWS hotkeys list is at https://www.freedomscientific.com/training/jaws/hotkeys/

You can also use NVDA screen reader to test your PDF for accessibility. It's a free download. https://www.nvaccess.org/download/

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi

Thanks for your reply.

Just for testing I created the pages without thread link. Now I created the pages with thread link in that case also while exporting to interactive PDF each and every line was shows as separate line in Accessibility tag. Please refer the InDesign screen and PDF screen shot.

Ganesh_In_0-1669122775104.png

Ganesh_In_1-1669122801162.png

As you said this is not an issue in accessibility, but our customer requirement one paragraphs has to be Single reading order number. There is any option in InDesign to fix this issue in InDesign while exporting,

I also attached text thread link InDesign for your reference.

Thanks

Ganesh,R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ganesh_In, I think 2 different reading orders are beging confused.

There is the TAG tree reading order, which shows the tagged paragraphs in the order in which they'll be read by assistive technologies.

And there is a separate reading order, the Architectural Reading Order shown in the Order panel. They are NOT the same, and often are not in synch. Do not confuse the two reading orders!

Two different reading orders: Tag RO (left) and Architectural RO (right).Two different reading orders: Tag RO (left) and Architectural RO (right).

There is nothing to fix in InDesign: your file is correct in how it shows both of the reading orders.

Remember:

1. In the Tags Tree, the <P> indicates that is it one paragraph, with several yellow content containers for each line of text nested inside the <P>. All of the yellow content containers are within the paragraph. This is correct. 
  2. In the Architectural Order panel, you are seeing each individual element, indicated by a number. It's a completely different type of reading order that is not related to the Tags Tree.
  3. If you're having problems with JAWS, then check out some of the free tutorials on how to use the program.

https://www.freedomscientific.com/training/jaws/getting-started/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlctxRAroB4ApeQd5b_I6A/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines