Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessibility: Span tags for hyphenation

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on a document with a couple hundred pages in Swedish, hyphenation on. When I export to (interactive) PDF, Acrobat's Tags panel shows a Span tag around each and every hyphen. Screenshots below. Is this an issue for accessibility, and if it is, how do I fix it while still allowing the text to be hyphenated? I'm fairly experiened with InDesign, but haven't used accessibility features much before.

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 18.58.32.pngScreenshot 2021-06-18 at 18.58.36.png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Those <Span> tags are normal and required foraccessibility because the hyphens are software hyphens (put in by the software) and not hard hyphens (you pressing the hyphen key).

Screen readers sort of ignore them, other than knowing that the word is hyphenated and needs to be joined together when voiced to the end user. Most screen readers will announce the word correctly, others maybe not, but that's not a "hard stop" barrier.

Just ignore them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those <Span> tags are normal and required foraccessibility because the hyphens are software hyphens (put in by the software) and not hard hyphens (you pressing the hyphen key).

Screen readers sort of ignore them, other than knowing that the word is hyphenated and needs to be joined together when voiced to the end user. Most screen readers will announce the word correctly, others maybe not, but that's not a "hard stop" barrier.

Just ignore them.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Bevi, for your super quick reply! I'm glad there will now be an answer available for others who are wondering the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com I've been taking them out of the span tag and removing the now empty tag?  Is that okay or did I just mess things up? 

TIA, 

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines