• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acessibility for pop-up windows (InDesign) Interactive PDF

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating an accessible PDF on InDesign and wanted to add pop-up windows (when you set a button to open/close a pop-up inside the PDF). However, I tested it and it seems there's not a way to make these accessible. I'd like to know if there is a way to make it accessbile (so that the screen reader reads the pop-up when it opens up), or if this is really a non accessible feature.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from using the community >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget accessibility issues, show/hide buttons is a very, very wonky feature even with Acrobat or Reader on a desktop. My advice is to skip it and find a better way to present your information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Unfortunatelly this isn't an option, one of the main demands for this material is accessibility, so that everyone can understand it and read it. I brought my doubt here because I couldn't find an aswer anywhere else, but if it's not an accessible feature, then I'll just have to make it without the buttons 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean it's not an option? It's your only option if you want to use a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short if your main demand is accessibility, you can create this as an accessible PDF but without the show/hide buttons. Even if they worked (sketchy at best), I doubt they fall under WCAG compliance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarifying...

Since it's a PDF file, it falls under PDF/UA-1 compliance for accessibility, not WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines). See the law at US Access Board, https://www.access-board.gov/ict/#504-authoring-tools

But regardless of accessibility, pop-ups and other interactives just don't work well enough in PDFs. Period. So as others have said, find another way. One idea: use an internal cross-reference hyperlink to another section of the PDF, perhaps to a glossary at the back of the PDF if you're explaining terms. But be sure to hyperlink back to the original reference.

Eventually we'll have this type of interactivity in PDFs — and accessible, too — but we're a few years away from that.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello guys, thanks for the answers! The priority is for it to be accessible, so I'll just use other resources as hyperlinks as you said. I posted the question just in case there was a way to make pop-ups accessible that I didn't know of. However, thanks for clarifying 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines