Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Adjusting spine width causing crash

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, friends. I have a 3-up book cover, and my spine width is not correct. The pre-flight sytem at the press (KDP) gives me this message: "Your expected cover size is 12.802x9.250 but the submitted file size is 12.531x9.000."

I'm losing my mind trying to adjust this thing. The spine page is set to landscape, so the height is the width, and the width is the height. (Seems not ideal, but that's how my designer made it. Easier to just put the text box on its side, no?) Anyway, I go in and change the "height" from .513 to .802, and I get an error message saying you cannot do that, and InDesign crashes. (PNG of error uploaded.)

I've tried changing the margin values in File >> Document Setup, but it then changes margins for the front and back pages, which I don't want. I've created a layout called Spine, and set the width, but cannot get this layout applied to the spine page only. 

Can anyone help? INDD file attached too. Thanks!

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021
Hi Benjamin, I had no issues at all with your document. Opened it with InDesign CC 2015 version 11.4.1.102 on Windows 10. Your pages are all set to "portrait". All is good. You may apply a different master to the page that is the spine. I just did that. Duplicated master A and did a new page size to master B with the Page Tool. Then I applied master B to the second page. InDesign asks you if the page should follow the master. No problem with that. Here is the result with the changed width of t...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Benjamin_14 - I've asked to have your question moved to the InDesign forum so you can get more help there. You don't need to do anything once it has moved.

I've submitted scores of book covers and I've never seen a set up quite like yours. Cover documents should be set up as one page and calculated like this:

Width x 2 + Spine. For a 6x9 trim that would be 12 plus your spine width, so it's going to be something like 12.5315

Height 9

Then, add the .125 bleed in the setup as you have it here.

JainLemos_1-1629652706485.png

When you export to PDF you want to follow the printer's guidelines for how to set Marks and Bleeds. When looking at your PDF properties, you want to make sure the document size is the total of the W/H plus the bleed.

I would set up a new document with those settings and copy the various elements over. You could also reset your document measurements and adjust each element accordingly, but the way you have three A parents applied seems confusing. Also, you have lines framing the spine which is fine but, depending on the printer, these could shift a tiny amount in trimming and binding where the lines shift over onto the front or back cover areas, which doesn't look that great. It's hard to get the spine placement pin-perfect on every copy.

Okay, hope this is helpful!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can ask your printer for a schematic something like this so you have the exact specifications:

JainLemos_0-1629653449370.png

Oh, I missed the KDP part. They have guidelines for cover set ups in their help section. And seeing this is POD, there will be some shifting on those spine lines. And yes, you rotate a text box for the spine area!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Jian. I appreciate it. As I understand it, the three-up option for covers is "easier", because as interiors change and grow, and the spin width needs to adjust. I'm sure both layouts are workable.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem, @Benjamin_14. I'm so glad you got it sorted out with Uwe's help! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

I had no issues at all with your document. Opened it with InDesign CC 2015 version 11.4.1.102 on Windows 10.

Your pages are all set to "portrait". All is good.

You may apply a different master to the page that is the spine. I just did that. Duplicated master A and did a new page size to master B with the Page Tool. Then I applied master B to the second page. InDesign asks you if the page should follow the master. No problem with that.

Here is the result with the changed width of the second page that is the spine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7q22pyy7qsc2nu/GiftOfListening_CV-CC-2015-EDITED.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, thank you very much! I apprecaite it. What a great community! I ran the file in KDP, and it is approved. Yay!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines