• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Indesign 2021/Presets/PPDs/ADPDF9.PPD still does not show up when trying to print to post scri

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week i was able to make postcript files

Then monday morning the options for ADPDF9.PPD dissappeared

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 11.54.11.png

Tried unistalling and reinstalling but no change

Deleted the PPDs file and created a new one but still no joy. Below is the where i placed it:

Adobe Indesign 2021/Presets/PPDs/ADPDF9.PPD 

Anybody have any ideas as google had no other options than putting the 'ADPDF9.PPD' in Presets which is what i have, screen grab below. Or am i being an idiot and missing something very obvious.

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 11.50.43.png

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you even trying to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Bob, I'm curious why you want to keep asking to do this, when you know it won't work, and why do you feel you need to?

I'm going on the assumption that this is reapproaching the same question you asked about two days ago, Unable to customize page options while printing as a PostScript file | macOS.

If it is, your best course of action is still to get a PDF of your book by directly creating the PDF out of InDesign. It is not by trying to do what you want to do. Your "solution" you keep trying is not a good solution. I can't put it more simply: it's not going to work.

If you have some other reason why you need to create a fictitious Postscript printer, please let us know what you do and why you need to do that so we can help you get a better solution.

You've previously let us know that you're using a Mac. There may be different solutions, depending on what version of MacOS and InDesign you're using. So please let us know that information. Also, if you let us know what print devices you have, and what output device you're tying to get to by using a fictitious Postscript printer, it will greatly assist us in helping you.

There are lots of sharp folks around here willing to lend a hand. But we need more information from you to help us help you. And between you and me, we don't need any more information to know what you're doing is not going to work.

I'm trying to help. Really.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to the client we work for has distiler print settings to use. I need to create a post script file. For the last few months Indesign 2021 was allowing me to do this until this morning.

This is the first time i have asked this question as i have always been able to sort the problem by creating that folder and putting the PPD file into it.

After numerous attempts it still does not appear. Device independant is not helpful as i cant set the page size.

macOS Big Sur version 11.4 and Adobe Indesign 16.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a Big Sur problem. Was it working before on Big Sur or did you just upgrade? Maybe the OS is blocking it because of a permission problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was working perfectly on Big Sur for 2 months or so (new computer) then all of a sudden no. I Did some updates last week but they didn't seem to effect it till today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try reinstalling the PPD? Maybe it got corrupted somehow?

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep deleted my old file with the PPDs. Tried new folder with the downloaded version from the site you linked and still nothing. Asking my client if they have had issues and can supply an alternative. Also asking them if they can accept exported PDFs as We have been making postcript files for them for the last 15 years. I know why they ask for them as the file size is greatly reduced. Which helps when your dealing with files that over over a gig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try trashing your InDesign Caches and Prefs folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is absolutely nothing in those settings that can't be achieved by exporting directly to PDF.

Talk directly to the printer and ask them about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. That's good news. I think I've got you covered.

You can create custom PDF profiles which will precisely match your printer's specifications. You load them in through the File>Adobe PDF Presets>Define command. Rather than having to "print" a Postscript .ps file and then open it in Acrobat Distiller to apply custom PDF profiles, you can apply those custom distiller print settings to define a matching (InDesign) PDF Preset and output them directly from InDesign to your printer's exact PDF specifications. It also runs automatically from your InDesign document's page geometry, rather than an inflexible generic (and obsolete) PPD that's not compatible with your document and computer system. It's faster, gets better results and doesn't have the potential issues associated with your current workflow.

I also owe you a sincere apology for mixing you up with the poster from a couple of days ago. Mea culpa.

Just to save yourself from future complications, I'd recommend you delete that obsolete PPD at your earliest convenience. It's a setting that doesn't work and takes up unnecessary space. It can't cause problems for you down the line if it isn't there.

Please let us know how this works out for you. And I promise I'll start reading these long random post names from the back to the front from here on out. Again, my apologies.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy, I thought this was a duplicate post—the other thread was started by @defaultmxfrq31l3he3 and this same question is by @default0u1tyen7szor

If this is not the same poster, you can try this JavaScript I linked to in the other thread, which exports simple 2-up impositons including perfect binding signatures (Acrobat’s built-in Print>Booklet option will not impose signatures or allow for creep). I have only tested this in-house, so check the PDF carefully, and if you are delivering an imposed PDF make sure to get a bound proof before going to press.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/3bfdb004-f188-4f3d-5904-d82dd8f8e2d1

Here’s the dialog and a PDF sample:

robday_0-1625491527967.png

robday_2-1625491528227.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi default0u1tyen7szor,

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?  I am having the exact same issue. Everything was wotking fine in July 2021 but in September 2021 the ADPDF9.PPD options have disappeared.

Thanks,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as well, need the solutions please. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same here, I've downloaded the PPDs file but still doesn't work on macOS Monterey 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines