• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign Font Problems on a new Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use Adobe InDesign 17.2.1 on a new Mac. I am using Monterey 12.4 on a new Mac Studio.

When I open a file that I created last year I get an alert that Adobe Fonts could not find the fonts I used to create my original Microsoft Word file. The missing fonts are Cambria Bold, Cambria Bold Italic, Cambria Italic, Cambria Math Regular, Cambria Regular, and Calibri Bold. If I click on the Replace Fonts…button I cannot find these fonts.

I use these fonts all the time on my new computer when using MS Office apps. 

How can I get Adobe InDesign to recognize these Microsoft fonts? 

Thanks for your help.

EV

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Cambria is not showing up in your Font Book (or other Font manager you might be using), Word is using Microsoft's built in font collection. This folder is only accessible by Word itself and is not made available system-wide, hence why you're not seeing them in InDesign,

You should be able to copy them out of that folder and install them in your Font Book.

To find it, you need to navigate to the Word application in Finder and right-click to "Show Package Contents". In there, open the Contents folder > Resources folder > DFonts folder. You will find a handful of Cambria TTF and a TTC in there, among many others you may want that the Mac OS no longer provides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brad. I found my missing Cambria fonts exactly were you said. They are now installed in FontBook. That is the good news.

The not so bad news: I opened one of my InDesign files. Nearly 800 errors. But, I now can find the Cambria fonts. Is there a fast way to fix these font errors?

EV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What errors?

I would go to the Type > Find Replace and start there. If you had used the TrueType versions before, I'm surprised it's not automatically sorting it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies - I appear to be late to the party

Brad @ Roaring Mouse has you covered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! I found the missing fonts a suggested, not sure why/how they dissapeared in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. To troubleshoot the font issue in InDesign, please try the steps shared in this article. Feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cambria is showing for me.

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eddie said: "The missing fonts are Cambria Bold, Cambria Bold Italic, Cambria Italic, Cambria Math Regular, Cambria Regular, and Calibri Bold."

Hi Eddie.

all this font styles are not available with MacOS Monterey. See this list here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212587

As Brad already said and pointed at, the fonts are, or should be, delivered with a Microsoft product like Word.

Or they are only available as Microsoft Cloud Fonts with Office 365. What's your exact version of MS Office on your old machine, what's the version on your new machine? Did you perhaps switch from Windows to MacOS?

Brad said: "What errors? I would go to the Type > Find Replace and start there. If you had used the TrueType versions before, I'm surprised it's not automatically sorting it out."

Good question, Brad. Maybe the font style's versions used before are different ones?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft font are hidden in their Application icon. Select one of the app icons, like Word, Excel or PowerPoint, right mouse click > Show package content. Search there for the Ressources Folder. There are all fonts. Copy them in your user fonts folder. So they will be available tu all programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts in question are those that came with MS Office. My problem occurred after my aging 2014 iMac died. I purchased a new Mac running Monterey. That is when my problem started.

Thanks to the advice I received, the problem is largely gone. I still get "errors" regarding the Cambria Math font, which I imported into FontBook along with the other MS Office fonts in my InDesign documents. I think that the fix for that is, as you suggest, easy " Type > Find Replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines