• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign | Images | PowerPoint-to-ID | Blurry Results for Two Specific Images

Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm formatting a math-related book in Adobe InDesign (ID). My cover-spine-back cover file is in process. The intent is to populate the cover and back cover with math equations and graphics---in a faint, collage-like manner---that I created clearly using MS-PowerPoint. Other text and graphics (book title, main illustration, author name, etc.) will be superimposed over the math images.

I copied and pasted most items from the MS-PowerPoint file into my cover-spine-back cover ID file successfully (i.e., they are clear). I cannot, however, copy and paste two specific plot/graph-like images without resulting in blurred images. In addition to simple copy-paste actions, I tried Save as Picture... from MS-PowerPoint using all file types available (e.g., *.tif, *.jpg), and then conducting a File > Place... action in ID. Nothing seems to work, including a simple Snipping Tool action. Do you have any other ideas to import these images into ID without blurriness?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

There are many layers to what I'm reading in your post. The first thing that comes to mind is that graphics from Powerpoint are rarely of professional print quality, even if PP handles them well. It's an amateur's tool with lotsa "help" in making slides look good.

Right off the bat, I'd suspect the images you are trying to place on an ID layout are either much lower resolution than you suspect (with PP's 'help' masking this), or in a format that ID can't handle well — probably indexed color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

I suggest you create your collage (without the blurb text etc), in Photoshop, and ensure you have the correct resolution (around 300PPI) and Place this image as a native PSD file in RGB Color Mode in an InDesign cover document with  bleed. And in this InDesign cover document you add your cover text (title, author blurb and bar code etc). You can then export the design as one document to include the front and back covers and spine as a PDF for print, (possible PDF/X-4)  ticking Crop Marks and Use

Votes

Translate

Translate

If your PowerPoint is in a 16x9 ratio (and not 4x3), the default save-as resolution is 1280x720 for the entire slide. PNG or TIFF format is best. 
if you are on Windows, you can change the resolution even higher by editing the registry. 

You can try saving as PDF and either edit the PDF in Illustrator to get the graphic you--or place & crop the PDF in InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

James, Derek, and David:

Thank you again for the feedback. The artist I've been working with generated JPEGs, TIFFs, etc. from Photoshop, where my subsequent attepts at importing them into ID resulted in the same blurry images. Another artist I know who works with ID routinely suggested I check the display settings. It was the display settings all along! I'm finding out after the fact that many YouTube videos capture this issue---some more thoroughly than others. The trick is to ensure that thes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many layers to what I'm reading in your post. The first thing that comes to mind is that graphics from Powerpoint are rarely of professional print quality, even if PP handles them well. It's an amateur's tool with lotsa "help" in making slides look good.

Right off the bat, I'd suspect the images you are trying to place on an ID layout are either much lower resolution than you suspect (with PP's 'help' masking this), or in a format that ID can't handle well — probably indexed color.

For ID, and for prinr, you really-really need your images in adequate to high resolution, and as separate image files of types well-supported by ID and export to PDF (which means JPEG, mostly, with PNG an acceptable backup if the file details are good for print and not just web display).

Copy and paste doesn't work as well as Placing images from standalone file, and things like the snipping tool work only at screen resolution, which is likely 1/3 or less the resolution needed for print.

Find or create separate, standalone versions of all the images you are tryign to use on your cover layout, of at least 300 ppi net resolution at their print size. And make sure they are RGB if not CMYK color, and definitely not Indexed Color (low-grade bitmaps for digital display only).

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James: Thank you. After reading your reply and two others I received, I think I need to download and learn some additional Adobe software. I will investigate further. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you create your collage (without the blurb text etc), in Photoshop, and ensure you have the correct resolution (around 300PPI) and Place this image as a native PSD file in RGB Color Mode in an InDesign cover document with  bleed. And in this InDesign cover document you add your cover text (title, author blurb and bar code etc). You can then export the design as one document to include the front and back covers and spine as a PDF for print, (possible PDF/X-4)  ticking Crop Marks and Use Document Bleed Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek: Thank you. After reading your reply and two others I received, I think I need to download and learn some additional Adobe software. I will investigate further. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your PowerPoint is in a 16x9 ratio (and not 4x3), the default save-as resolution is 1280x720 for the entire slide. PNG or TIFF format is best. 
if you are on Windows, you can change the resolution even higher by editing the registry. 

You can try saving as PDF and either edit the PDF in Illustrator to get the graphic you--or place & crop the PDF in InDesign. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David: Thank you. After reading your reply and two others I received, I think I need to download and learn some additional Adobe software. I will investigate further. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, Derek, and David:

Thank you again for the feedback. The artist I've been working with generated JPEGs, TIFFs, etc. from Photoshop, where my subsequent attepts at importing them into ID resulted in the same blurry images. Another artist I know who works with ID routinely suggested I check the display settings. It was the display settings all along! I'm finding out after the fact that many YouTube videos capture this issue---some more thoroughly than others. The trick is to ensure that these three sets of settings are in place:

1. Edit > Preferences > Display Performance... > Default View: High Quality > Adjust View Settings: High Quality > Raster Images: High Resolution > Vector Graphics: High Resolution > Transparency: High Quality
  2. Object (after selecting the object) > Display Performance > High Quality Display
  3. View > Display Performance > High Quality Display

As of now (i.e., before proof copy printing), all images appear crystal clear. Considering the application of these images that will serve as a faint background, additional fidelity does not seem to be needed. Time will tell. Thank you again for the comments. I learned a lot from your suggestions and related research.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you figured it out. Sometimes we assume a person posting a problem understands the basics of the program and we end up completely skipping some of the basic answers. Something for us "Community Experts" to remember...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That it was (reportedly) only some images displaying as faulty masked this option, for me. I know display quality can be inconsistent, but if some were fine and a few faulty... I don't think we were wrong to focus on the image files themselves.

But point well taken.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

James: Those images I mentioned in my first post were clear at the time---until I logged out and then back in later in the day. The subsequent login revealed their blurriness where they remained blurry. I should have followed up on that. Good catch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines