• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe, stop auto-starting and auto-updating apps for good!

Guide ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In today's world there is nothing more annyoing than the permanent software updates. On Windows, when installing Adobe software it now uses to

- activate auto-start for the CC main app

- create an Adobe Update Service and activate auto-start for it

- create 3 or 4 or even more tasks in the task planner

- set single CC apps to "Automatically install updates"

WTF! You ever heard of "never touch a running system"? In terms of an IT administrator this is update hell. If I wouldn't deactivate all this auto-start crap, the apps would install update by update messing up my settings and functions (topic: massive change of keyboard shortcuts and marquee behavior in Photoshop in the last big update).

Updates are often needed, often also welcome, but they must not auto-install! It suffices to check for updates and notify the user.

My most used tool is Indesign. Today I received an INDD back from my translator and could not open it. Why? Because he already uses Indesign 14 while I'm still on 13. Really? You couldn't even keep file format compatibility from one version to the next? The biggest problem: you can go back to Indesign 13, but any file saved by Indesign 14 would have to be opened and saved again for 13 or else you couldn't continue to work.

Now I'm either forced to update to 14, not knowing if there also were major changes or I must ask the translator to go back to 13. And no, I don't read "What has changed or what is new?" lists for a reason. The main reason is that I would have to find them myself. Not like the CC main app would have a link for every app to a "What is new or what has changed in the last update?" web page where you can easily check.

Bad job, Adobe, bad job.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Hi Doc Maik:

All of these issues have straightforward fixes.

1. You can open a v14 file in v13. Just click on Convert. I created the file below in CC 2019 and am opening it in CC 2018:

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.16.45 PM.png

2. You can install multiple versions (all versions if you like) of InDesign on your computer and use the one you want for a given job. I opt to keep the last two versions of all of my apps installed. CS6-current are all available with your CC subscription.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.20.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.20.38 PM.png

3. In my CC Desktop app, I keep auto-update disabled.
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.22.38 PM.png

4. Finall

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm either forced to update to 14, not knowing if there also were major changes or I must ask the translator to go back to 13.

InDesign has always worked this way. Your third choice is rather less drastic, just install InDesign 14 having turned off the option to uninstall InDesign 13. It's very normal to have a large range of InDesign versions, kept according to who one is collaborating with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 13 opens Indesign 14 data without a problem but issues a warning that new features may be omitted. That is more than Adobe did before. When working with a specific version, you can downgrade the file by using the exchange format.

And when you buy a service, specify the file format, if you do not upgrade immediately.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only downgrade if i also install version 14, just to open the version 14 INDD and to save it as IDML in order to open it then in version 13. This is ridiculous! And no, my Indesign version 13.x could not open the version 14 file at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this thread to InDesign community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-updating can be disabled in the Creative Cloud app (menubar in Mac, tray in Windows), it is a simple preference. Just turn it off and be done by it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doc Maik:

All of these issues have straightforward fixes.

1. You can open a v14 file in v13. Just click on Convert. I created the file below in CC 2019 and am opening it in CC 2018:

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.16.45 PM.png

2. You can install multiple versions (all versions if you like) of InDesign on your computer and use the one you want for a given job. I opt to keep the last two versions of all of my apps installed. CS6-current are all available with your CC subscription.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.20.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.20.38 PM.png

3. In my CC Desktop app, I keep auto-update disabled.
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.22.38 PM.png

4. Finally, this list is updated regularly. If you are going to update, it is worth setting aside 20 minutes to read it after each update. Take 3 seconds to bookmark it and you won't have to google "what's new in InDesign" each time there is an update.

InDesign CC new features | New modern and customizable UI

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi doc maik , I updated the Adobe Acrobat 

Update 2 but no difference between 1 update and 2 update .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Deleted User:

I updated the Adobe Acrobat 

This is the Adobe InDesign forum. Please post Adobe Acrobat questions on the Acrobat forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/bd-p/acrobat?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines