• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on Workflow needed

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC on a Mac. I have a multi-chapter InDesign project. It includes links to multiple artboards in multiple .AI files. I'm a solo operator with a sometimes unreliable internet connection. So my inclination is to keep all of this material arranged in one folder on my harddrive. But I want to also keep it backed up, so that in the case of a crash I won't loose work. I keep my Desktop & Documents Folders in iCloud for this reason; however, trying to keep this big project there as well is making me crazy, as I sit and watch the spinning beachball.

Could someone offer me advice?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

If you save your InDesign documents and their assets in your Creative Cloud Files folder, which is installed by default in you User folder,  all the files will automatically get sync’d and backed up to your Adobe Cloud account, in the background when you do have an internet connection. An intermitent internet connection wouldn’t stop the sync’ing—for large files a slow internet connection might be a problem.

You wouldn’t see any performance hit because the InDesign files and their links would

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Yes that should work. You might want to experiment with a small folder of files first, so that you fully understand how it will work and check the sync’ing.

Sync’d files should show a green checkmark in your finder:

Screen Shot 12.png

Right click a file or folder and you can choose View on Web:

Screen Shot 13.pngScreen Shot 14.png

Watchout for special characters in your file and folder naming:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-creative-cloud-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could buy an external hard drive and use your Time Machine app to make regular backups of your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links? You mean links to files used as images in the INDD? Package the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that something you do only when you are finished with the project and need to hand it to someone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it at any point in time. Later added files can be selected in the Link Panel and in the menu you find a Helper Command to copy files to … and you can bring a copy to the link folder, or you can make a new package at the end of each day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if the drive fails you would lose the working files and the package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, a package doesn’t work as a backup. If your internet connection really is so bad that the Adobe cloud background sync’ing fails, then you would need an external Time Machine drive as Luke suggests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save your InDesign documents and their assets in your Creative Cloud Files folder, which is installed by default in you User folder,  all the files will automatically get sync’d and backed up to your Adobe Cloud account, in the background when you do have an internet connection. An intermitent internet connection wouldn’t stop the sync’ing—for large files a slow internet connection might be a problem.

You wouldn’t see any performance hit because the InDesign files and their links would be local with the backups on your Adobe cloud server. If you were to lose your drive, the Creative Cloud Files folder would automatically get restored when you log back into your Adobe account.

There is also an incremental feature with the Adobe cloud servers, so you can log into your creative cloud web account, go to a file and download past versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I move everything out of iCloud and into the Creative Cloud Files folder in Mac Finder by simply dragging their folders from the former to the latter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that should work. You might want to experiment with a small folder of files first, so that you fully understand how it will work and check the sync’ing.

Sync’d files should show a green checkmark in your finder:

Screen Shot 12.png

Right click a file or folder and you can choose View on Web:

Screen Shot 13.pngScreen Shot 14.png

Watchout for special characters in your file and folder naming:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-creative-cloud-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, the helpx page I linked to is a bit misleading in that it implies you need to manually upload files to your cloud account, all you have to do is save files into your local Creative Cloud Files folder and the sync’ing will be automatic.

Here is the page I meant to link to, which covers sync’ing errors:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/arent-my-files-syncing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines