• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After playing a video in the Interactive PDF, the video window remains on all following slides

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

maybe one of you can help me...
I packed a video into an interactive PDF and then exported it.
Despite the lack of controls, the video plays smoothly, but once it's done and I click on to the next page, the video window stays and covers up all coming pages.

Unfortunately I can't find the error and would be very grateful for help. If you have any further questions, please feel free to write me.

Thank you in advance,
Anna-Lena

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the issue is with the player and not the PDF. What PDF viewer are you using? Have you tried another viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use the Adobe Pro DC Reader with which causes the problem. I also tried to use the Preview one from Apple, but with this one the video won't even start to play.

Until now, I haven't tried any other ones. Are there any you would recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with what @Derek Cross  and @BobLevine have already said. There are countless PDF viewers out there and many of them only support a fraction of what an interactive PDF is capable of doing. To compound the problem, the features that are supported are not consistent across all of the viewers. Your safest bet is to avoid interactive PDFs altogether.

If you are sharing PDFs amongst a small group of known people you might want to use one of the Adobe options...
- Acrobat Pro (Paid)
- Adobe Reader (Free)
The exact name of these two products keeps changing over the years. I also appreciate that you already seem to be having problems with Reader.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't even work with Adobe's own tools. I have the latest versions of Acrobat Pro and Reader on Win11 and MacOS. It is impossible to create a pdf with embedded media content that works - even on the same tool/OS/machine that it was created with. You can add the media, but getting it to play correctly is another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't play video and so on in a PDF because Flash has been dropped by Apple, you can hardly blame Adobe for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it certainly created most of the issue, the dropping of Flash is not the reason for this. The reason is that the whole format just sucks. You can get it to work with an MP4 file but it's simply not worth the effort as most readers don't support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't include a video in an Interactive PDF for distribution successfully, instead use a hyperlink to a YouTube or similar website. Alternatively use FXL ePub or InDesign's Publish Online feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My standard advice stands. Do not even attempt to use mulitmedia in a PDF. It way too unreliable and won't work at all in many third party PDF readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing this too. Would love to hear if there is a solution as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible solution:

Right click > Properties > "Disable when: The page containing the content is closed"

It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely worked! Thank you so much because the base embed video settings are absolutely unintuitive and awful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey there - whereabouts are you right clicking to get this box? I have the same problem but can;t see this option! Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's best to stick to a link in your Interactive PDF to something like a YouTube video or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines