• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Type 1 font support ends, will I be able to open old InDesign files that use type 1 fonts?

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vaguely remember reading somewhere (and can't find it now) that after the switch that InDesign would not even open a file that contained Type 1 fonts. I really hope this isn't the case. If I can open the file and the Type 1 font is missing, that's fine, I can just replace the font and adjust as needed. If I can't even open the file, that would be catastrophic! 

Please tell me I got some bad info, or remember it wrong! Thanks! 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Don't worry, you will be able to open these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

As long as you use an InDesign version that supports Type-1 fonts (up to InDesign 2021 I think) and you use an OS that supports Type-1 fonts and the Type-1 font is installed everything will be fine.

But trying to open an InDesign file with Type-1 fonts in a newer InDesign version will bring up error messages about missing fonts as the Type-1 fonts will not be recognised.

See: PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support 

Best

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry, you will be able to open these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's ridiculous. The files will absolutely open unless there is another issue with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be able to open the files. But you can probably count on the pop-up warnings to get more strident as time goes on.

As a solid backup, you and your organization should spend the rest of the year ensuring that you have current PDF output versions of your legacy InDesign documents. In the PDFs, having Type 1 fonts embedded will be no big deal. Then I'd count on InDesign files needing to updated ad hoc on a case by case basis.

If there are no changes, the archived PDFs will suffice. For changes, you can add updating to OpenType and/or TrueType fonts as part of the update process. Then make your document changes within the InDesign document and create an updated PDF with acceptable OpenType/TrueType font substitutions (as well as your other document changes) so you have a current, state-of-the-art PDF archive.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you use an InDesign version that supports Type-1 fonts (up to InDesign 2021 I think) and you use an OS that supports Type-1 fonts and the Type-1 font is installed everything will be fine.

But trying to open an InDesign file with Type-1 fonts in a newer InDesign version will bring up error messages about missing fonts as the Type-1 fonts will not be recognised.

See: PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support 

Best

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry , should be a reply to the original post.

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines