Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aligning / snapping objects

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When dragging objects in InDesign, it does not move freely. Instead, it snaps to some kind of pixel grid I can't control. I did't find any settings where I could turn it off.

Regardless I set up my guides and "Snap to guides" is turned on, Indesign still prefers their hidden grid.

When scaling diagonals, I can't align the end of the line to grid I defined. In this case even changing Preferences > Units & Increments settings doesn't help. I can't even cut the exceeding line according to drawn rectangle nor line (this is possible in Illustrator, not in Indesign).

Could you please help me, how to solve this problem (ideally without changing ruler settings, I am happy with pixel units)? Thank you very much in advance.

Snapping to some kind of pixel grid I cannot find.pngsnapping problem.png

P.S. I have been searching this forum for the solution and I really don't want to dragg the object to the moment it will look approx. aligned (and this is only when I cange Units & Increments, which I do not want), I believe the professional editor can align it accurately. I also can't understand why Adobe consider untraceable default grid more important than margins, columns and guides defined by user for some reason. Even If I wanted to have my objects aligned to the pixel grid it often does not work. When the object does not sit on full pixel coordinates it often draggs +1px instead to the grid...

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to temporarily disable snapping - drag by holding CTRL. 

Also have a look here

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-turn-off-snapping-to-some-sort-of-invisible-grid-in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dominik,

if you want to snap a path point of a graphic line to a guide, use the Direct Selection Tool if possible.

Selection Tool vs Direct Selection Tool

Selection Tool:

AlignPathPoint-to-Guide-SelectionTool.PNG

Direct Selection Tool:

AlignPathPoint-to-Guide-DirectSelectionTool.PNG

Direct Selection Tool result:

AlignPathPoint-to-Guide-DirectSelectionTool-RESULT.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines