• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All my text and image frames suddenly became unmovable

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version of InDesign on a Windows 11 PC. After working on a document for half an hour today all my frames suddenly became unmovable. I may have hit some combination of keys to do this, but on searching the menus and online help I can't find a setting to lock all frames. Is there one? In this forum I found a message from someone who had the same problem, and resorted to using the CC cleaner tool to fix it. For now, I've uninstalled the latest version and re-installed the last but one version 17.2.1, and everything is working normally again. Can anyone shed light on what is happening? 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Best to keep both versions of InDesign so you can easily return to the earlier one if you find you still have problems with the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can lock frames in the Layers panel (all or individual layers) – did you check the Layers Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, thanks but no that's different. The layers weren't locked. I could still edit text and delete frames, but not drag them, resize them or drag images into them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose before reinstalling the application, I would have tried resetting the InDesign preferences first to see if that resolved the issue. It's difficult to discover what might have caused with the problem with the original file now that the  body has been disposed of, so to speak!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try going under the Object Menu to "Unlock All on Spread"? That command will unlock anything on the active page or spread. It would need to be reapplied on any subsequent spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill - thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that was the problem. I could see the lock icon if I lock individual frames. I forgot to say that I tried closing the application and opening it again and opened different documents none of which resolved the issue. Therefore for now I'll continue with the older version installed and will update at a later date when I've finished the job I'm working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best to keep both versions of InDesign so you can easily return to the earlier one if you find you still have problems with the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines