• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All text is deleted when just deleting one character

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated to the newest InDesign. A new issue I have now is that when editing text, all the text in a text box disappears when I delete just one character. I have tested this on multiple files, and it seemed like it was just TT and Type1 fonts, but on Open Type fonts, when changing to another OT font, once changed and you begin to type, that text disappears. But changing from OT to a TT ro T1 does not not disappear when typing, same for changing from TT/T1 to OT. Very frusterating to not be able to use this software at all since updating both my machine and software. Thankfully my old computer and software is still viable.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Please provide more information: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Since this has not been reported by anyone else, and there are now thousands of people (including me) using the latest version of InDesign, you should consider it maybe something particular to you. Since you say "I have tested this in multiple files," I would try restoring your InDesign preferences and caches:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...https://www.rockymountaintraining.com › adobe-indesi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide more information: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Since this has not been reported by anyone else, and there are now thousands of people (including me) using the latest version of InDesign, you should consider it maybe something particular to you. Since you say "I have tested this in multiple files," I would try restoring your InDesign preferences and caches:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...https://www.rockymountaintraining.com › ad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big Sur 11.4 using ID 16.3.2.

Redoing the Cache and Prefs seemed to help. However, the same issue came up once again after I opened a file, tested it (no issue), closed the file, the reopened it (issue returned), but now it seems stable (tested multiple files), as nothing is disappearing, which is good. Hopefully it sticks.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see if you opten the text view window? CMD/STRG+Y

Look at the keep options of the paragraph style (you work with styles?) of the disappearing text, which should be visible in the text view window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is STRG on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@trbloco2402:

I think that was a typo and that @Willi Adelberger is referring to Story Editor view. You can use Edit > Edit in Story Editor or a shortcut:

• Cmd+Y on a Mac
  • Ctrl+Y on Windows

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

yes and no, it was meant ctrl+Y for US keyborads on WIN. I used the term as it is labeled on international as German keyboards on Windows as there is no CTRL key available, only the Strg-key which has this functionality:

German-T2-Keyboard-Prototype-May-2012.jpg

And the label Control is used also on Macs, but has there a different meaning, to be honest, I never use it on a Mac:
APPLE_MLA22D_01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, @Willi Adelberger for clarifying! 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text really deleted?

Or does it only do not show on the page?

If the latter, we already have some reports here in the forum for that. And more come in.

For example:

Indesign
Dominique5EEA, 2 hours ago

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign/td-p/12182912

Where the following screenshots are attached:

Text rendering, all is good.

Capture d’écran 2021-07-17 à 14.06.48.png

Some of the text is not showing up:

Capture d’écran 2021-07-17 à 14.06.17.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue started with version 16.2.1 perhaps and sometimes continues still with 16.3.2. See this reply:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/text-disappears-when-typing-in-text-box/m-p/12147132#M435215

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For these reports, I think it's very important to get more information about the hardware/software being run. I run 16.3.2 on a Mac with Big Sur 11.4 but I'm using an Intel processor on my MacBook Pro. I've been running InDesign very heavily the past week and it's never occurred. Are these occuring with the M1 chip? Not all of the reports you reference give very clear information about their system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines