• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt text for Ai or eps files

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am creating an accessible document in InDesign and I have added alt text to the photos and figures. The Alt text shows on the photos when I hover over them when I export it into Acrobat but not the ai files. They are tagged as Figures in Indesign. How can I make the figure alt text appear? Thanks, JO.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Josephine@Redtail , Hovering over a graphic in a PDF to view the Alt-text is not the way to check the file. It's dicey whether the Alt-text will pop-up or not. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, so don't trust that method to check your PDF file.

Instead, we teach our clients/students these 2 methods to check the Alt-text:

1. From Acrobat's Accessibility tool panel (right side), select Set Alt-Text. A dialogue box will appear that allows you to cycle through all of the tagged graphics <Figur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josephine@Redtail , Hovering over a graphic in a PDF to view the Alt-text is not the way to check the file. It's dicey whether the Alt-text will pop-up or not. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, so don't trust that method to check your PDF file.

Instead, we teach our clients/students these 2 methods to check the Alt-text:

1. From Acrobat's Accessibility tool panel (right side), select Set Alt-Text. A dialogue box will appear that allows you to cycle through all of the tagged graphics <Figure> in the document, view their existing Alt-text, edit it, add it to graphics where it's missing, or set the graphics to Artifact (decorative).

Alt-Text in the Accessibility tools panel.Alt-Text in the Accessibility tools panel.

2. The second method is to right-click on each <Figure> tag in the Tag tree, select Properties, and check the Alt-text there.

Check <Figure>'s Alt-Text in its Properties.Check <Figure>'s Alt-Text in its Properties.

Note: In the past, AI files sometimes have not retained their Alt-text or have had other accessibility problems when the PDF is exported from InDesign. But I haven't seen that problem in a while.

Hope this helps.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That is what I do already, but I thought Adobe would have fixed
this issue by now.

Regards, JO.

*Josephine EynaudM* 0418 939 469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not Adobe's error to fix!

It's the browsers and other software that process the PDF that choose how to handle Alt-text — and yes, Adobe Reader and Acrobat shouldn't pop up the Alt-text.

When first developed in the 1990s, Alt-Text was never intended to "pop up." It was intended to be hidden and "seen" only by those assistive technologies that need it, such as screen readers that voice it.

We now have 25+ years' worth of sloppy, inconsistent handling of Alt-text by the entire industry. Hence, some times you see it and some times you don't.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines