• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

anchored object relative to column with text wrapped graphics in column

Engaged ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a textbook which has a section about knots. Under each knot's heading, I have the URL and a clikcable link for the appropriate page animatedknots.com, which provides an easy route for seeing how to tie the knots if you're reading the PDF online. A reviewer/contributor suggested adding QR Codes for those reviewing a printed version so they can use there cellphones. Good idea.

As with anything in InDesign, automating this as much as possible is a good idea.  I've abandoned anchored graphics for the figures, as it is more work than just manually repositioning, which also puts them in better places related to their subjects. But I thought this QR Code idea was a good place to finally get to use anchored graphics. But after the following experience I'm not so sure.

Here is the graphic style I created for my QR Codes:

QR code graphic style (also has some wordwrap set, below is related to anchored graphics):

Options > Custom >

• Relative to Spine: unchecked
  • Anchored Object Reference Point: top right
  • Anchored Position Reference Point: mid-right
  • X Relative to: Column Edge, X offset: 0p0
  • Y Relative to: Line (Baseline), Y offset: -1p0
  • Keep Within Top/Bottom Column Boundaries: checked
  • Prevent Manual Positioning: unchecked while debugging

So I just started copying and pasting the first QR Code I inserted, and everything worked fine until this page:

QR-Codes-Columns.jpg

As you can see, the QR code in the left column of my two-column page is situated perfectly. However, the one in the right column – because it's positioned relative to the column edge, and unaffected by the wordwrap of the figure, is embedded in the figure. I have been unable to figure out a fix to this, except maybe at some point Adobe could add an option "observe wordwrap in column's text."

Or to abandon the idea of having anchored graphics to the right of a clickable link. I suppose I could have them at the left of the text on the next line, realizing that the anchored QR Cod is not good about sharing its space on the line with invaders from outside the column guides. And taking up more vertical space. In that case, c'est la vie.

Any thoughts for the best way to deal with these QR codes would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Group each image with the QR code, and then anchor the group.

Also, if you're missing it, look at the text-wrap options that might let you use a simpler page layout.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't seem any simpler than simply manually placing the QR Code.

To try to keep automation at the cost of some more-elegant design, I redesigned the Object Style thusly:

This didn’t work when a graphic intruded from the right. So I redid this QR Code object style thusly:

Options > Custom >

• Position: Custom Inline or Above Line
  • Inline checked
  • Y offset: -3p3
  • Prevent Manual Positioning: unchecked while debugging

I then cut and pasted the QR Code at the beginning of the URL line.

This seemed to work fine when a graphic intruded into the column from the left or right. (I did have to remove the text wrap from the Object Style to get the spacing to work, and add a few hard paragraph ends after the URL to get the following paragraph to start at the left side of the column rather than after the QR Code frame. Here's what it looks like, not quite what I was aiming for but OK:

QR-Codes-Columns-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a lot of automation, to be honest. Grouping two graphic elements to form one is a pretty simple step, and although you have to do it for each entry (each knot), it's one-and-done. You can even update the graphics fairly easily without disturbing the layout. I wouldn't compromise a better layout for the reader for the sake of (sort of) saving a few layout steps. The goal is to keep the illustration, the entry and the QR code together for the reader's convenience, and in an attractive layout... right?

I also see problems if you end up going with both print and EPUB/Kindle layouts. Separately placed and anchored stuff won't necessarily end up where you want it in e-formats.

Some tasks, especially at the book-length level, just have to be done. Seeking a shortcut with a less-optimal layout, or scripts, or whatever, might be false economy. If this were, say, a catalog or the like where the taks has to be done dozens of times per round, without end, sure "automating" or simplifying the layout would be worthwhile. Just my US$0.02. 🙂

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah. Perhaps I should explain. All of my graphics, other than the QR Codes, are NOT anchored. I place them by hand. And it's possible that that a knot may have multiple illustrations, to illustrate various features, and one of those may even have to be on the next page. So there is not a one-to-one correspondence between QR Codes and graphics. So no, not easy to automate!

I thank you for your thoughts, though, and I can imagine someone with one-to-one correspondence would find your suggestion quite useful. Which is why these forums are so valuable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines