• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchoring images in InDesign and reading order in accessible pdfs

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to anchor images within text in InDesign to create a proper reading order in pdf, but the images always end up at the end of the page in the order. I know that I can change the reading order within Acrobat, but if anchoring doesn't set the reading order what is the purpose of anchoring? I've referred to Chad Chelius's video but still don't have clarity and am hoping someone can guide me. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order is correct within Tags, but within the Order pane they images are at the bottom rather than where I've anchored them. Is this the best that can be done within Indesign? Is best practice to change the order within the Order pane in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably, you're creating a Reflowable ePub. I suggest you create a simple practice document to test the concept.

Create a new document, any size page, fill it with some text and a couple of headings (better if you apply Paragraph styles). Then Place an images on the page (it doesn't have to be in position – it can be off the page).
Anchor the image to the beginning of the heading by dragging from the solid blue square in the image frame to the beginning of the heading (a small anchor icon will appear on the frame). Export to Reflowable ePub ensuring you select ePub 3.00 and Cover, none.

In InDesign:

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 20.51.27.png

In an ePub Reader:

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 20.52.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting to pdf and then in tabs pane the order is fine. The figure shows up right where I've anchored it, but in the Order pane the figures are all at the bottom of the order. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hopefully you were able to figure this out! But one thing I do when this happens is copy and paste the image into the text box, and use the move tool + text wrap to postion the image in the right spot.

Maybe a bit unorthodox? But this way I can get the tagging order and the reading order right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines