• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

anchoring images to text

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to anchor my images to their related text so they follow the text as it flows, but when I select the image with the pointer tool, no blue block displays. Is this due to the fact that I am using an old version 7.0 CS5? When was this feature added to the application?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anchored Objects were introduced in May 2005 with the CS2 version. They were improved in late 2010 with the CS5.5 version which introduced drag-n-drop.

View > Extras > (Hide or Show) Anchored Object Control ?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked that, and have everything showing except "assigned frames." Do I need to show assigned frames?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assigned frames are an InCopy feature. And yes, you can't use drag and drop to anchor the image in something that old. I thing you need to cut and paste and then use then convert it from inline to anchored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best I can tell, it was new in CS 5.5.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/0fe50e63-71b1-4db5-91c1-c8f6c4738df2

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In older version we had to work with a different workflow:

1. Cut or paste the object into the clipboard
  2. Change to the text curser
  3. Put the text curser where the anchor should be
  4. Paste the object
  5. In the object menu is an entry for anchored objects. Here you can adjust if this is an inline object or only an anchored object.

I cannot remember from which version on, these properties are part of the object styles. If they are, you should make an object style.

In the future you can apply the object style to automatically position it instead of step 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this method be suitable for files designed for epub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The epub tools in CS5 can be described as older than archaic. If you were a print designer you could go along your merry way with it. But for epub, you have to upgrade to Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I subscribe to the newest verions of InDesign, will I be still able to open and do any basic layout work in my old version after saving files in the newest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not directly.

But when you save a converted file in a current version of InDesign, it's going to force a Save As. Just save with a new name to protect the older file if for some reason you need to get back to it later, or decide not to move from the CS5 to the subcription.

You can also save a file as .idml (CS4 or Later), which can be directly opened by CS5. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not really. Text will absolutely reflow and any new feature you used will be badly mangled most likely. You might get away with for a postcard or flyer but a long document? No way that's going to be successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines