• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any hope for improving Style Mapping process?

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pretty much want to murder the Style Mapping window. This hasn't changed in any useful way in decades, it seems.

I have loads of Pre-sets, but still receive Word docs with a zillion stupid unused Styles that I have to map to [No Paragraph Style] or [None] for Character Style.

This has to be done with the mouse, one line at a time, changing each Paragraph Style to [No Paragraph Style]. You can't type or paste into the stylename field.

When mapping an unused Character Style, I often have to scroll down through the enter Paragraph Style list to find the Character Styles at the bottom and then find [None]. This is incredibly laborious. (And sometimes, inexplicably, it does show only the Character Style list, for one line, then changes to all styles for the next.)

Several things would address this time-waster.

1. "Ignore Unused Styles" checkbox could show only those Word styles that are actually applied to anything. (Word does not allow removal of dozens of default styles.)

2. Allow a checkbox to Set Style Mapping to default to [NONE] for any unmatched styles. As in, anything I haven't already mapped gets set to No Style (or to some other default, like Delete Me). This really should just be a setting somewhere in the software, which could be made a user setting.

3. Barring these things, at least let me type the style name in the name box, and start matching as I type.

4. Have the option to Ignore Case. InDesign will not map "Footnote Reference" to "Footnote reference". Will also not map to a style of the same name if it's in a Group.

I have done all I can think of to automate this process, but it is the single biggest time waster of my life in book production all day every day. I have yet to find scripts or tricks to address this particular challenge. Yes, lots of ways to format Word files, but I cannot change them and they are very well done by the editors. All the good styles are there, and many many bad ones. It's not the Word files really, it's Word's extra styles and InDesign's failure to help me deal.

Thanks for anything I might be missing.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

totally agree with you. I wish you could export mapping settting to share with other user.

This fourm is not the right place to share your feedback however. We are all volunteers here. You are not really talking to adobe.

If you do want to tell adobe about the improvement they could make, do it here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

thanks

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines