• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone know where I can turn off the Auto Styles interactive box on a text frame?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is messing with my flow.

I do newspapers in Indesign. At the start of filling in content on a newspaper I grab a range of individual word docs in the OS and drop them onto the page, rapidly click them off in a horizontal row, select them all and then apply body style with a hot key. From there I figure out where I'm going to put them and the rest of the formatting.

In ID2023 they've added the maddening "feature" of popping up the gray box with a "T" in it on the bottom of any story box where the contents are longer than the box draw on placement. It goes away if the user does any click/keystroke. Clicking on the box applies an Auto Style from the ether, and opens the Styles panes.

So instead of being able to smoothly go through clicks that each result in a text frame placement, I'm now having to frequently double click every time I place a longer story jsut to make the Auto Styles box go away. I'm a high actions per minute guy, and it's driving me up the wall.

I've rooted around in the prefrences and Googled, but haven't found a solution. I've gone through similar instances of this with Adobe's historic "smart" handles and doodads they love to clutter up frames with but I haven't found my way to a solution for this yet. If anyone knows how to make this stop I'll be eternally grateful

Phone shot included since any keystroke makes the thing go away.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Hello @keithb700496 

Go to > prefrences > Clipboard handling and deselect "Show Auto Style Option"

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @keithb700496 

Go to > prefrences > Clipboard handling and deselect "Show Auto Style Option"

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome that got it.

I guess my brain didn't connect the drag and drop with pasting/clipboard. Because I know I looked right at it and said "That can't be it." ;-D

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in an illogical location.
It should be under VIEW > EXTRAS.
That, for me, would make sense. It's where you find all the other "amateur" things such as the CONTENT GRABBER.
;o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! Had the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was VERY helpful Mike, thanks! Keith, I agree...that is a very annoying feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this was driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! WhyTF is this not under the Type or Advanced Type section in preferences? These $%^&* programmers... this is the equivalent of changing the label design on the orange juice at the supermarket... then NO ONE can find the OJ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right  a 'maddening' 'feature' this just happened to me... very annoying to have to get rid of a 'feature' that gave rubbish autostyle anyway! It seems Adobe are gradually trying to dumb down and automate a lot of their software with their pop up boxes of 'helpful info' to open it up to non -designers. Lets just hope it doesnt gradually turn into microsoftword !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liquid Layout, Autostyle Text, that frustrating Color Theme Tool that the eyedropper tool now defaults to (oh boy, 5 colors sampled from a photo?! Formerly required a design degree.) … and the bugs accumulate. I guess these things make a better looking bullet point list than "• Fixed a few of the bugs that we introduced in the last dozen updates."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:)))) so right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot agree more. That color theme default eye dropper is infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines