• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Appearing black lines while creating a shadow effect to an image!

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I created a document and pasted an image. Then I wanted to set a shadow effect to this image and saw this issue:

Снимок экрана (51).png

So how can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paste?

Never paste image to InDesign, always use File>Place command, or drag'n'drop from Explorer/Finder.

In any case, your image must be saved as a separate file on your HD, and placed to ID as an external link.

If issue persists, examine your image in Photoshop, maybe resave to be sure.

If it is jpeg or any other lossy format, after editing better save as psd or tiff, or pdf, and place to ID that. Don't re-save jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that you're talking about the sharp, dark edge around the drop shadow surrounding your image, so if I'm a bit off base, please correct me.

I think I see a couple of things you can adjust to get better results:

1) The default Opacity: setting for an InDesign drop shadow is 75%. With a tight drop shadow, that tends to give you the heavy effects and funky banding which appears in your sample image. If you click on the right-pointing chevron to the right of that percentage in the edit box, it opens a slider which you can use to quickly judge the quality of your drop shadow's darkness — as well as how it appears above any element/color build situated behind it.

If you asked me, I'd scale it back around the 40-45% range to make it a softer, easier-blending drop shadow. But if that doesn't meet your desired effect, first selecting the Preview check box and using the slider lets you pick an opacity setting that'd be more appealing to your eye and judgment.

2) As for the drop shadow lining up perfectly against the left edge of your image, boosting the X Offset: edit box with a larger positive number will move the shadow further to the right and make it look more like the light is appearing well to the top-left of your image. Be advised that the upward- and downward-pointing chevrons jump in large amounts, and you may have to click into the edit box and dial in a number between two chevron clicks to get your desired result.

Also, winterm is steering you right about placing images into InDesign rather than copying/pasting them into your layouts. You'll get much better results putting graphics into your InDesign layouts that way. I think between his suggestion and mine, you'll be able to dial in more desirable results for your images within InDesign.

Good luck. Hope this helps ...

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dragonixt29921437 ,

I think we need to see more what's going on around your image.

Best do a screenshot of the whole page with frame edges showing, hidden characters showing.

If you export the page to PDF/X-4 with all transparency intact can you still see the three black lines in the area of the drop shadow?

Are there any frame edges stacked below from other objects?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here in search of an answer to the same issue. I have never experienced that issue before. (The horizontal black lines appearing in the shadow behind the image) I have just started using Windows 10 and I'm getting the same horizontal black lines behind any image with a shadow or gradient. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue on brand new PC. Old one never made such lines.

In my case lines are very thin (one pixel?)

Good is that export to pdf is without lines. But it doesn't look good while you're working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me,.it shows the same black lines for the shadow and any gradient if applied. But miracoulsy does not show in the print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having the same issue when apply transparency and shadows... some weird black lines but they are really annoying.  Any idea?

BTW I do have two monitors and the problem appears in both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JDBlender,

is this an image that is placed and linked?
Or was it pasted on the page?

Will the lines be visible if you export the page to PDF (Print) with PDF/X-4 ?

What's your version of InDesign?
What's your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, thanks for replying.

I have the same problem no matter if the image is pasted, imported, JPG, PNG, PSD, always the same lines.

If I export the image to PDF or any other format the lines dissapear, but this is kind of annoying while I am working, I deactivate all the potential lines to be shown but the problem seems to be general cause I found some users with the same problem.

I have the latest version (updated the last week) 

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your graphics card driver to make sure it is the latest version. https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/drivers-video-win-nvidia.html . This worked for me and fixed the problem, however, I would have never known if I hadn't tried opening Premiere on my new-to-me PC with Windows 10. Premiere identifiied that I didn't have the correct driver to be able to fully use Premiere. Once I installed the correct NVIDIA driver, the black lines on my images and drop shadows in InDesign disappeared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having the same issues, and it was very frustrating. What seemed to work was installing the updated NVIDIA graphics card driver, and now I don't have the issue. However, I would not have known this if I hadn't tried to open up Premiere Pro up on this same computer, which is a new computer to me. Premiere identified that I didn't have the proper driver to run Premiere, so I installed the correct driver, and then InDesign files started working as well. Here's how to find which driver you need and how to install: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/drivers-video-win-nvidia.html . Hope this works for you as well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, had this issue myseld and I don't know if you've already figured this out but its your display performance. If you Shift+W to check in presentation mode the lines will disappear, as wel as if you change your display performance to high quality.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am currently working with InDesign support to understand and resolve this issue. The Adobe support team agrees this is something that shouldn't be happening. I am on a new computer (Windows 11) with a high-end processor with lots of RAM so this shouldn't be a graphics issue. However, since I find this so annoying, and since I have not heard back from Adobe support yet (who are ALWAYS very helpful) I have found a "work-around" that seems to elimate this issue.

If I go to the master page and create a "white" overlay on the master page (i.e. using the rectangle tool over the whole master page and use a white fill) then when I go back to my normal pages and use the drop shadow on an image, or use any other effect in the effects panel, the black lines no longer show up.

Again, this is just a work-around until I find out from the Adobe support team what the actual issue is, but for me it is WAY better than being distracted by those annoying black lines appearing behind the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines