• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple M1 Chip Trouble: InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have a MacBook with the M1 Chip and experience problems with InDesign? I.e. freezing screen, spinning wheel,...

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. The first Beta release of InDesign for Apple silicon M1 is now available to download. Please try installing by following the instructions on this page and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using InD on new M1 macbook for first time today and I'm getting recurring spinning wheel that's bringing down my entire system. It's been happening when I'm drag-placing an image from Bridge, not sure if exclusively, but that's the task I'm doing at the moment when it keeps happening.

Also sometimes noticing a scrambled pink screen for a split-second when scrolling through a large document..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this potential workaround is easier to find:

After having similar problems, I have unchecked 'GPU performance' in the InDesign preferences. Early days, but no crashes since I made that change, will report back later with an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had 2 full days without any crashes since unchecking GPU performance, but have just had another frozen beach ball on InDesign. This time it did not bring down my entire system as it did previously, I was able to force quit InDesign and continue working, hopefully was an isolated incident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign is not setup to run on the M1 Architecture. 

It still runs on the X86 architecture - and Apple are using Rosetta 2 emulator to emulate that architecture.

What version of InDesign

What version of the OS? (Presume Big Sur?)

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/kb/macos-big-sur-compatibility.html

Apple Silicon compatibility

We are working to ensure that our apps are natively compatible with Apple Silicon devices, but do not have a release date yet. Apple Silicon devices ship with Rosetta 2, an emulator that enables ARM Macs to run Intel-based apps. InDeisgn will work on Rosetta 2 until they are available natively.

There are no known issues specific to running InDesign under Rosetta 2 emulation mode on Apple devices with M1 processors running BigSur (macOS 11).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short - if you're using InDesign 15.x or lower it's not tested on big Sur. Only InDesign 16.0 and above is tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Big Sur and InDesign 16.0.1

After reading some threads of other people having issues with M1 and Illustrator, I have unchecked GPU performance in the InDesign preferences. It's only been half an hour, but no crashes since I made that change, will report back later today with an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using latest release of ID on an M1 Mac mini for the past few days. More or less unusable. Constant crashes when selecting images inside frames and switching documents. Have to force quit the app as I get the spinning beachball. I am going to try turning off the GPU performance as alexandere suggested and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using ID all afternoon after deactivating GPU performance. No more crashes or freezes so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem in InDesign and Illustrator and these changes (unchecking GPU performance) have fixed it so far. The only thing that doesn't work is copying elements between Photoshop Beta and InDesign/Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this suggestion.  I just unchecked GPU performance and am crossing my fingers that it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leah,

just adding a few links to Adobe kb and help pages:

Apps that run using Rosetta 2

Last Published: December 8, 2020

You can install the following apps on computers powered by the Apple M1 chip. They run using Rosetta 2 technology. The apps may initially take longer to open while Rosetta 2 translates them for use in your M1 computer.

…
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Wheras if I look into System Requirements for InDesign 2021 the Apple M1 chip is not mentioned at all:

InDesign system requirements
Your computer must meet the minimum technical specifications outlined below to run and use InDesign.

Applicable for: October 2020 (16.0) release.

macOS
Processor: Multicore Intel processor

Operating system
macOS version 11 (Big Sur),
macOS version 10.15 (Catalina),
and macOS version 10.14 (Mojave)

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.ug.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I keep getting freezing and a spinning wheel (not just on InDesign, but also on Chrome and Safari and Acrobat).  I'm very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: making this change has completely resolved my problem.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What change? i have the same problems in my Mac Mini M1 with adobe, and also Chrome and Spotify and maybe more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using it a month now and have had to revert mac to my old machine. Using any Adobe software is a nightmare. Constant crashes. Beachballs. Or just long hangs. Rosetta is obsolete. Basically CC is unusable across the board on an M1 at current

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is out there some "official adobe" solution for this problem? or we just have to wait to the native M1 apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eugene, but this is nor a solution... the only app is Phosothsop, but i use the complete suite.
Or theres something in this link that i didnt see?

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work is in progress to provide ARM-native applications for all currently supported Creative Cloud applications including Acrobat. When ready, they will be released. There is no magic button that Adobe can push to simply create and thoroughly test an exceptionally complex set of applications with a different CPU (ARM verus Intel), a different graphics architecture, and (as usual) a new, incompatible version of MacOS (i.e. MacOS 11).

Other than for bragging rights about having the newest, shiny gear from Cupertino, CA, being on the bleeding edge has some significant downsides, especially if you are trying to use such gear for production purposes. Note that the current ARM-based M1 chips only support 8GB or 16GB or memory – most of us would recommend 32GB as much more realistic for heavy graphics application usage, especially if multiple applications are running concurrently!  😉

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cant be a RAM problem... I spend years and year working with the id, Ps and Ai with 4gb of ram, then 8... now i have 16 with the newest chip and the worst performance ever, but looks as a "bug" thing, it is not a speed problem or something. Will see, i hope this have a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said - the M1 chips are new, they run an emulation Rosetta 2 to emulate the X86 architecture currently used in Intel/Amd chips. 

Not all programmes are updated to run the new M1 architecture. 

You'll just have to wait until it's released. 

You asked for an official line from Adobe - I provided the link. And an Adobe employee responded to you too.

I agree - having 32gb RAM is essential these days. It has gone from 4 to 8 to 16 to 32. 

However, the M1 chips are quite good - and perform as well as high end AMD and Intel chips. 

I won't be jumping on the M1 bandwagon just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. The first Beta release of InDesign for Apple silicon M1 is now available to download. Please try installing by following the instructions on this page and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines