• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying transparency only to the non-transparent parts of a png

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a transparent png that has a black and white monochrome illustration in its centre. I'd like to make the monochrome illustration take on a colour in InDesign by assigning a colour to the frame. Is there any way to do this without having to make edits to the image in Photoshop?

I imagine the trick is playing with transparency modes in with the Effects panel--but no luck I could figure out. Typically when I want to do this to a black and white image, I'll give the image frame a fill, and then double click to make only the graphic take on transparency of the background fill. But in this instance, I'd like for the illustration to still take on the Lighten transparency, but for the transparent background to ignore it. I'm trying to achieve a look of a coloured block sitting atop of the background image. Shown below.  

Screenshot 2021-04-16 122902.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent pre-maturely. The image shown is of a background b/w image of a project site. The image in cyan is the transparent png, w cyan image frame fill, and lighten transparency applied to the png. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flattened Grayscales can be colored in InDesign. By default a placed Grayscale gets [Black] assigned as its color, but it can be changed to anything (this will not work if the Grayscale doesn’t have a flattened Backgroud layer)

Screen Shot 22.png

Screen Shot 24.png

Here the image’s parent frame is filled with yellow, and the selected image is filled with cyan

Screen Shot 23.png

Screen Shot 25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Thank you! This is helpful,as I didn't know this and can actually use this technique elsewhere. 

However, it still doesn't solve that I'd like my image to be transparent. I've attached another image that hopefully clarifies things a bit more. 

Screenshot 2021-04-16 154845.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn’t work if the there are gray values, but if the image is black and white with no gray values you can save as Bitmap Mode in Photoshop and the white pixels can be transparent [None]:

Screen Shot 27.pngScreen Shot 29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what photoshop is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines