Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arabic ePub Issue from InDesign

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

The one on Left side is how it looks as ePub, InDesign is on the right side. Any idea how can I fix this?

I am using InDesign 2019 on Windows, there is no overriddes and everythign is styles... also I am using Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer for the justification composer. Tried to change the fonts and Ligatures is Disabled.

Any Ideas? Thanks

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using a different EPUB reader to see what the results are? Some may not have the same level of support for RTL languages. Also, what font are you using, and are you embedding the font in the EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey David,
Yes I have tried different epub readers and all exactly same result, I even extracted the ePub to check the HTML itself and it is still broken. font is Adobe Arabic.

Regarding the font embedding, doesn’t InDesign do this Automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ahmed, I'm having a similar problem, and I'm relatively new on InDesign. Did you solve yours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately not yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try InDesign 2020 and beyond the Books app on iOS and Mac, fixed layout is really not a good format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob - Thanks for the suggestions: I've already got InDesign 2020, and I just searched the App store for "Beyond" but didn't find any books' app.

The book I'm trying to release looks super as a fixed layout ePub, except for this little Arabic problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Books app is preinstalled with iOS and Mac OS. There's nothing to look for. It used to be called iBooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already viewing the ePub in Books.

I have now attached screenshots of the inDesign and ePub views. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed layout is what the clients need 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe type it out in AI and place that in your InDesign file and export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't usually output to ePub unless it is for demo purposes, hence I'm not an expert on this topic. having said that, I was successfully able to output below on Mac (Catalina), InDesign 2020, using "Adobe Arabic" font, I put together a 4 pages Arabic article and output it to ePub reflowable, the result was satisfactory when viewed on Apple "Books" viewer.

ePub.jpg

Can you simplify your publication for the sake of testing, remove any images, borders, and keep text only, perhaps one page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Zaid,

But the issue is with the Fixed Layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am using the Latest Adobe InDesign 2020 15.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening with me too. I cannot publish Arabic contnet properly as I used to do with Fixed-Layout option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has something to do with new InDesign maybe? But for me it has been always the case even with any previous InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'solution' is not to get the latest version of indesign but rather an older version. Specifically, Indesign CC2018. I think it has something to do with the way fonts are treated while exporting to the fixed layout format. When working with Arabic, however, you'll end up with issues in the way punctuation appears in the layout. It would be faster to outline the text and re-build any interactivity or MSOs. I'd be interested to find out if anyone has any other solutions for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We are currently investigating this issue. Will it be possible for you to share a sample file? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

Also, could you please try opening Epub file in some other reader like Readium. Let us know if this helps or the issue still persists.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Srishti,

Thanks for replying to this...

Yeah I have tried different readers including readium and still same issue, here you can find a sample

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/21a92893-1789-408e-6ab3-93a2e7aa4286

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ahmad,

This issue has been reported to Adobe as a bug, you may vote to grab InDesign's development team attention to this matter here… https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41322403-arabic-exporte...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Zaid,

I just did voting this up 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with a 67 page Farsi book. The print is fine and I successfully created a reflowable ePub with some issues like footnote numbering. However, I just uninstalled and are-installed 2022 version 17.01 and I cannot create a fixed ePub in Farsi. This has been an issue since 2018 and the Adobe Indesign team has not found a solution or a workaround???

I appreciate any solutions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know there are aome limitations to RTL (ARABIC, FARSI, HEBREW) exports with EPUB and PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Willi Adelberger wrote:

As far as I know there are aome limitations to RTL (ARABIC, FARSI, HEBREW) exports with EPUB and PDF.

It is totally true with EPUB, however, Exporting to PDF is stable and smooth from my experience. Did someone report an issue when exporting Arabic content to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines