• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arrows switched around on toolbar?

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually the top arrow is solid black, for grabbing and moving, and the second arrow is white for grabbing and moving photos inside a picture box for example. Did they get switched around in 2022 InDesign? Now the grab arrow is white, and the move objects inside is black? Am I nuts?

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 5.06.21 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I've used my mouse to select a tool in 20 yrs. Utilize the keyboard shortcuts and your life will be so much happier. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear the dark vs light, but I simply think it's a mistake from Adobe on the interface. The messed up. 

Here is the Illustrator toolbar for 2022:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 8.23.53 AM.png

And InDesign:

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 5.06.21 PM.png

Illustrator works as usual, Forst arrow (black) for moving, second arrow (white) for moving the nodes of objects. In Design is now opposite. Turns out I am not nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, it wouldn't be a big deal if Illustrator was the same way... they really should match each other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please fix this. Lots of designers work with Illustrator and InDesign at the same time, this is very confusing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Farm402,

there is nothing broken here. There is one issue fixed with this change: now we have consistency with other tools in InDesign. That Illustrator and PhotoShop did not follow is a different thing.

Top row is InDesign 2021, bottom one is InDesign 2022:

TopRow2021-BottomRow2022.PNG

Have an eye on the Page Tool that did not change between the two versions. Especially look at the little arrow inside the Page Tool. The big brothers "Selection" and consequently "Direct Selection" now follow the same scheme "solid" and "hollow".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get your point, but the consistency within the Adobe family is an important part. With all due respect but are you guys not talking to each other? You are selling the apps as a bundle, so there should be a smooth workflow using them at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screenshots; but in the Dark mode, it did change. The top arrow was "black" inside and now it's solid white. The arrow below used to be white filled and now it's black filled. In your ID 2022 comparing  dark and light modes side to side, I see what you are saying, they made the top "solid" and the bottow "outlined", but I (and apparently a lot of users), don't see them that way but rather identifying the color of the fill. I haven't used the light theme in years, I can't compare it in my brain. All I know is that now the arrows "look" like they have been switched around. 

Thanks for being part of the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Juan,

I am the one who is always using the lightest UI.

Cheers,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but are you guys not talking to each other?"

We guys here are no Adobe employees. Just users.

I would write a bug report at Illustrator UserVoice for changing the icons in Illustrator as well:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs?category_id=209095

With PhotoShop I'd do the same, but this is a bit odd. PhotoShop is not listed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/de/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

When I go to:

https://photoshop.uservoice.com/

I get an error:

Error 404: Account has been deleted
"This UserVoice instance is no longer available."

Ah, found it, bug reporting for PhotoShop can be done here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/ct-p/ct-photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filt...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies Uwe, I was addressing Adobe and you answered. So https://uservoice.com is the way to go to address these issues to the developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not crazy. I noticed that too. Automatically I select the solid black arrow (with kind of an outline) as the selection tool. I find it annoying to have to get used to this change now. Just checked it in Illustrator and there it's still ''the old'' way.

InDesign.pngIllustrator.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's amazing to me is the amount of people defending Adobe as if its the right thing to do to have In Design, Photoshop and Illustrator be different for the primary control function. It's a simple overs sight and mistake that needs to be addressed. There was zero reason to change it in the first place since it benefits no one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kmsmolk,

my first reaction was: the switch of the icons ( no switch of functionality! ) must be a bug.

But then I changed my mind. After someone noted that the core idea behind the icons is "filled" vs "hollow" and not "black" vs "white". I have no issue at all with that decision. Only hope, that Illustrator and PhotoShop will follow suit soon.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HA! They changed it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines