Exit

Attach object to another object

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two objects: A rectangle and a semi-circle:

temp002.png

I'd like to "attach" the bottom-right corner of the semi-circle to the upper-right corner of the rectangle. When I move or resize the rectangle, I want the semi-circle to follow it properly. Grouping them helps when moving the rectangle, but not when resizing it. Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could either group or compound path the two shapes together. If later you need to resize the rectangle larger/smaller, use the white arrow Direct Selection tool to drag selected anchor points or line segments (maybe constraining it with the Shift key to drag it constrained straight).

If they are both textframes, you could anchor the small one to the large one's textflow and then custom position it. 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I make a compound path, maintaining two different texts on the compound path (one text on the rectangle, other text on the semi-circle) becomes difficult - I'd like to have two separate text frames on them with different paragraph styles, which seems impossible. On the other hand, grouping doesn't make the semi-circle move when I resize the rectangle.

I tried playing around with anchoring, but am not sure how to keep the object anchored to the corner of text frame, instead of being anchored to a specific place in the text.

temp003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should be doable through anchoring - I'm on my phone so can't give you more details 😞

Or how about two row one column table - with half-circle in the first row, aligned to the right? 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines