• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-generated TOC

Participant ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to only pull in the first instance of repeat page headings when using the auto-generated TOC? Right now I am manually deleting all but the first instance every time I update my TOC. There must be a way!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Use two paragraph styles for the headings: perhaps HeadingFirst and Heading, and then only pull the HeadingFirst into the TOC. Be sure to base Heading on HeadingFirst so that if someone changes the type specs you only have to make the change once. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use two paragraph styles for the headings: perhaps HeadingFirst and Heading, and then only pull the HeadingFirst into the TOC. Be sure to base Heading on HeadingFirst so that if someone changes the type specs you only have to make the change once. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb!

You mean two paragraph styles? Yes I thought of that and was going to do that but was hoping there was a feature I didn't know about in the toc styles that would literally say "use first instance only" or something. Wishful thinking! Sorry- I should have specified more. It's a book that's updated yearly, and it's quite possible somebody with less InDesign knowledge than me will update it in the future so i'm trying not to do anything that will confuse anyone. The person that did this book before me created their toc manually. The horror! 🙂 Thanks-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CarinTMCLG :

Yes, I meant two paragraph styles—and edited my first response to reflect that, so as to not confuse future users with the same question. 

There is no "first instance only" option for a TOC. It will pull anything with a specific style name. While there may be a scripting option or you can clean up the TOC after you update it, I would just use the two paragraph styles. 

You might add a note on the pasteboard that documents how the table of contents is set up to explain it to someone who's in your job down the road. I document my own files with a yellow text frame in my templates that is partially visible on page 1 so that I can review it before laying out the document Just a thought.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why are your headings repeating to begin with? Are you creating running headers by simply typing out the header (in the same paragraph style?) for each page?

If you can show an example of your layout, it may be possible to suggest a more efficient workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines