• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-resizing text boxes as part of a style?

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an extremely complex document with at least 10,000 text frames. I don't want to use auto-size for everything, but there are certain types of text frames (about 2500 or so, if not more) that would desperately benefit from the ability to dynamically resize (adding characters to the right). The document was created over 20 years ago in Quark and is continually updated, so this is not a one-off thing. I'd like to be able to say "any frame containing paragraph style XXX, apply auto-resize to it.

If that's not feasible, it there a way to automate the conversion of a fixed-size text frame to an auto-sized frame? Select the frame, apply a keyboard shortcut and instead of getting an overflow arrow, it just resizes the box.

Here's a very typical case in point. consider a box containing the characters X-2. The item it's referring to has been redesignated as X-1315 along with about 100 others that require a similar change. And in other cases, insted of adding text, I am rearranging things so a frame containing 8pt text would need to resize up to 10pt. Again, this is completely manual at present. I don't mind doing ones-and-twos, but hundreds.....
It's bad enough having to edit each of those boxes, but to be required to resize each text frame individually is painstaking and something I desperately need to automate. To be clear, only boxes presentaly formatted in a very particular way (character styles for the different point sizes I use in these; 6- 7- 8- and 10-pt text).

See the attached screen grab; any text frame containing X-something (X-400, X-440, etc) will need this treatment, nothing else.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

I'd like to be able to say "any frame containing paragraph style XXX, apply auto-resize to it.

Natively, I don't think that it is possible, maybe with a script?

If that's not feasible, it there a way to automate the conversion of a fixed-size text frame to an auto-sized frame? Select the frame, apply a keyboard shortcut and instead of getting an overflow arrow, it just resizes the box.

You could use object styles: autosizing is one of the text frame attributes that you can define in the objec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to say "any frame containing paragraph style XXX, apply auto-resize to it.

Natively, I don't think that it is possible, maybe with a script?

You could use object styles: autosizing is one of the text frame attributes that you can define in the object style options. And you can assign a shortct to an object style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will an object style apply to all text frames or just ones I select? For all boxes it would create far more problems than it would fix. I just need to apply it to the thousands of the specific X- boxes (railway signal numbers). They're the only ones that change, along with their description boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will an object style apply to all text frames or just ones I select?

Jut the frames you will select.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines