Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm setting up a teachers' guide that uses:

1. An InDesign book that contains
  2. Separate documents for each unit. Units contain
  3. Several lessons each.

• The lessons will be numbered sequentially throughout the book.
  • Pgaes will be numbered sequentially throughout the book.
  • There is a paragraph style set up for the Unit/Document name.
  • There is a paragraph style set for lesson numbers, but these are currently numbered manually. I'm toying with the idea of creating a list to paragraph-number the lessons, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'm attempting to set up a running header to note the number of lessons in a unit and where the current lesson falls in this set.

The image below indicates my desired result. I can currently insert the unit name (World History Introduction) as a text variable, but am looking to not have to manually type "3 of 4".

Screenshot 2022-02-03 114643.png

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Are Lesson # and Lesson ## present in the main document somewhere? Ie Chapter title/section title/cover page? If so, you could use mutliple variables, and point the numbers to either Running Header <<Paragraph>> or <<Character>> style and/or Chapter Number. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

You can put it in a non-printing text frame at the start of the section, or just use Text Before or Text After for that paricular custom variable, or put it in a nonprinting frame at the start of the section and use running header on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Attached is a simple example of what you could do with character-style variables and running headers/footers.

The LessonNum character style would be the default text color, probably black.

The total lesson number would be entered on the first page in a non-printing text frame, with the LessonNumLast character style applied. 

(My character styles are in magenta so you can see where I applied the styles.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are Lesson # and Lesson ## present in the main document somewhere? Ie Chapter title/section title/cover page? If so, you could use mutliple variables, and point the numbers to either Running Header <<Paragraph>> or <<Character>> style and/or Chapter Number. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that makes sense. Lesson # is present; lesson ## is not. I was wishing for a way to have InDesign count the number of lessons in the document, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can put it in a non-printing text frame at the start of the section, or just use Text Before or Text After for that paricular custom variable, or put it in a nonprinting frame at the start of the section and use running header on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is a simple example of what you could do with character-style variables and running headers/footers.

The LessonNum character style would be the default text color, probably black.

The total lesson number would be entered on the first page in a non-printing text frame, with the LessonNumLast character style applied. 

(My character styles are in magenta so you can see where I applied the styles.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great help. It still means me counting lessons, but I should be up to that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be able to figure out something with a paragraph number style, but I won't be able to look at it until next week. (I threw this together during class break...)

BTW, I marked @brianp311 answers correct too, since he basically said the same thing as I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Variables cannot pick up auto-paragraph numbers (nor can the TOC)--this feature has been asked for a long time.

The only improvement I could come up with was to auto apply the LessonNum style in the title using nested styles.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines