• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

automatic numbering in headings with line breaks

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a slight issue this side while attempting to create automatic section/chapter numbers.

I have 12 documents to set up, each around 80-100 pages. I've automated a lot of the features using Paragraph-, Character-, Object-, Table-, Nested- and GREP styles. So for most part it's smooth sailing, but I don't want to do these numbers manually as mistakes could creep in, and if at some stage a section/chapter is moved I don't want to have to go and manully fix those.

This is what I want it to look like [below]. I set this up manually. Number (tab) Title... The text frame is the same width as the tab to ensure that the title will be forced to the next line.

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 11.45.54.png

So I wanted to automate this:

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 11.48.59.png

I edited the stylesheet to use numbering [above], but when I do this all the text oversets [below] and does not work the same way as usual/manual tabs.

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 11.49.39.png

Changing the width of the text frames show that it is working, but not forcing the text to the next line as a manual tab would [below].

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 11.50.00.png

Any thoughts or ideas?

PS. These sections/chapters will each be on their own page, but for demo purposes I placed them all on one page.

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Hi Markcq,

hm…the tab must be outside of the auto numbering scheme.

It must be a tab character that you can select when you put your cursor in the text.

You could also work with a single blank character also outside of the auto numbering.

That first blank character could be grabbed by a GREP style where the applied character style would change the width enormously so that the text after the blank must break into the next line:

AutoNumbering-LineBreak-after-HorizontalWhiteSpace-1.PNG

Download my sample document from my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8qeai8fq6hxa2e/SampleDoc-LineBreak-with-FirstHorizontalSpace-2022.indd?dl=1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Markcq,

hm…the tab must be outside of the auto numbering scheme.

It must be a tab character that you can select when you put your cursor in the text.

You could also work with a single blank character also outside of the auto numbering.

That first blank character could be grabbed by a GREP style where the applied character style would change the width enormously so that the text after the blank must break into the next line:

AutoNumbering-LineBreak-after-HorizontalWhiteSpace-1.PNG

Download my sample document from my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8qeai8fq6hxa2e/SampleDoc-LineBreak-with-FirstHorizontalSpace-2022.indd?dl...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uwe, you are a genius! that worked!

I just had to come up with a solution for the TOC, becuase I used the Tab to separate the number and the heading in the TOC, but I used your same concept to do that and created a GREP code that would target the space after the digit:

(?<=\d)\s

Thank you for this. It will save so much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines