• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically changing references to page numbers within a text.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing a version of a book for print, it has a couple of hundred pages, these are automatically numbered by my InDesign CS5. On many pages I need to refer the reader to other pages in the book. However, the book neds to be continuously adapted and changed so that what was, say, page 100 becomes page 104. How can I put page numbers into the text which will automatically update themselves as the book's pages change their numbers?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Cross-References should do what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo, that should read "However, the book needs to be..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross-References should do what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SJRiegel, I thought so too. And maybe I am being slow, but I think the problem is slightly different. I found it quite hard to express exactly. Maybe an imaginary example would help, this is preparing a document for paper printing.

On page 100 I might have written:

"Readers may wish to see allied material on page 42, and material about sea squids on page 131. There is also something of interest on page 167."

I then find I need to insert anothe pair of pages at page 85, so 131 now needs to read 133 and 167 now should be 169. The page numbering is fine as it is looked after by InDesign, however those two references need to be updated. So what I need is a way of putting InDesign's page holding reference in place of plain numbers. This happens several times on each page, and I need to prepare the text before all the pages are in place. I know the easy answer is don't do it. But I feel there should be a way of putting place holders to refer to the constantly updated page numbers, but maybe there is not?

Thanks anyway

Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin, did you find a solution for this? I'd like to accomplish the same task and I'm having trouble finding a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SJRiegel's  link had 100% of the answer you are looking for. If you scroll down a bit in that link, you'll see that you can insert a wide variety of types of cross-reference. What I personally do, when I'm trying to do what Colin described two years ago, is this:

First, I insert a Hyperlink Destination in the target. In Colin's example text, I'd go to page 131 and Insert a New Hyperlink Destination right next to the words about sea squids, and I'd choose a Text Anchor from the dropdown, and I'd call it Sea Squids.

Then, I'd go back to page 100, and delete "131", and go to Insert Cross-Reference. I'd choose "Text Anchor" and, in the "Text Anchor" dropdown, I'd choose "Sea Squids." Then, in the Cross-Reference Format, I'd choose "Page Number" and click the little pencil icon to edit it, if necessary. The default Page Number xref format includes the word "page" so I'd delete that so that the Page Number xref format was just <pageNum/>.

So, the cross-reference on page 100 will remain in place, so long as the text anchor isn't deleted. It is a zero-width hidden character, so if you don't work with hidden characters then accidental deletion is a possibility. Here's a screenshot:

port.png

See the two little blue dots right before the "p" in "portfolio"? That's the text anchor. The cross-reference, when updated, will point to the page that has that marker. So if you add 2 pages to the beginning of the document, then after updating the xref, it'd say "material about sea squids on page 133."

page.png

See the very fine lines around the number 1? That's indicating that it's a live cross-reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gah! It's magnificent!!! I wish I'd looked into this feature sooner. Would've saved me tons of time. Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines