Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically updating graphic list of figures

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying create list of figures, that uses a thumbnail image of the photo as the title, followed by the page number. I've attached a reference example image.

Essentially I am looking to create an index, in which photos (which appear earlier in the book) appear in a non-sequential page order with a caption mentioning what page they appear on. 

My current workflow was to package all the images, batch rename them sequentially in line with page numbers, arrange them and create a caption based on the file name. Only issue here, is that the page won't automatically update if the page on which the original image appears changes.

Hope that makes sense and anyone can help! Thanks

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 14.23.33.png

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Instead of adding a caption with the file name, add a cross-reference to the page with the original image on it. You'll have to add each one manually, but the page numbers will update if the document reflows.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of adding a caption with the file name, add a cross-reference to the page with the original image on it. You'll have to add each one manually, but the page numbers will update if the document reflows.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

thanks for your response. Was just reading up on cross references and that looks the best way to go. Thanks!

have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, @colinrogger.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines